Teachings --> prayer for the dead 2

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , Mar 3, 2004
      What happed to the people who are dead

      1) They can see

      2) They can talk

      a) "By faith Abel …though dead, he still speaks "
      b) Read Luke 16:25- here We can learn two things from this.
      1) The life and death of the rich man and Lazarus were known to
      Abraham even though he was dead long before the rich man and
      Lazarus.
      2) Abraham who is dead talks to rich man who is also dead.

      c) 1 Samuel 28:11-19. in these verses prophet Samuel who was dead
      BEFORE Saul says, what happened to the King Saul and what would
      happen to Saul in future?. So dead saw what happend after their death
      AND know what will happen in future too.

      d) Luke 9:29-33- This section describes the Transfiguration of
      Jesus.So Elijah and Moses who died many many years back came and
      talked to our Lord"

      d) 1 Peter 3:19: Here our Lord went to preach spirits in prison.
      Spirits of people who died during the time of Noha.

      1) they could hear our Lord's preaching
      2) They could repent. Accept out Lord.
      3) They were not saints or patrarachs. Just ordinary people like me
      and you.

      What happened then?

      f) Jacob may rejoice and Israel be glad when the LORD restores his
      people"(Psalm 14:7)
      -- Here Jacob who was dead was able to know and rejoice when LORD
      restores his sons

      g) ( Deutornomy 33:6 ). Here Moses pray for Ruben who is dead long
      ago.

      So dead is not in silence or powerless. They are quite active.They
      were the memebers of the chruch. So ever after their physical death
      they are alive and ARE members of the church.

      So if we pray for our brothern( dead or alive) they may benefit.

      -- "If any one sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly
      he should pray to God and he will give him life(1 John 5: 1)

      So if your loved one has some Non-deadly sins, and if because of
      your prayers, if those sins are absolved. don't you want to pray for
      them?

      There are so many examples in the Bible, where a person is saved
      because that person's friend/relative/well wisher have prayed.
      I God love me, I can pray for others and God will listen to my
      prayer.

      So all prayers will be heard ? Only if the person is worthy

      Mathew 10:12-13 "As you enter the house, wish it peace. If the
      house is worthy, let your peace come up on it. If not, let your peace
      return to you."

      Any NT examples ??

      "Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you"
      (Hebrews 13:7). We are commanded here to remember all your church
      fathers that led us and taught us. All of those church leaders are
      not alive now. We are ordered to remember them and pray for them.

      2 Timothy 1:16-18. The Oneshphorus mentioned in this verse had been
      dead. The Biblical scholars agree on it. Protestant Scholar Dummale
      mentions it especially in his Bible interpretation. We see here that
      Paul is praying for Onesiphorus who was dead

      Mathew 9:18 "An official came to him and said "My daughter has
      just died. But come lay your hand on her and she will live".
      -- Lord accepted that prayer

      Acts 9:40 describes such an incident. "Peter knelt down and
      prayed. Then he turned to her body and said "Tabitha rise
      up". She
      opened her eyes". -- Lord accepted that prayer too.

      I hope this is clear enough. Tradition says that St.Mary
      burned incence( 'doopa prarthana') at the place where our Lord
      was buried.

      The word 'Anida' means departed. Anida Qurbana means prayer for the
      departed.

      In our Lord's love

      Paul reji
      St. Igantious church