Teachings --> Lent 3

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , Mar 3, 2004
      Has any one in NT observed Lent???

      "She [Anna] never left the temple, but worshipped night and day
      with fasting and prayer" (Luke 2:37)

      Matthew 4th chapter describes our Lord's observance of lent for
      40days and His win over Satan.

      Our Lord commands how to observe Lent in Matthew 6:16 . "When
      you fast do not look gloomy like hypocrites……… But when you
      fast,
      anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be
      fasting, except to your Father who see what is hidden will repay
      you"

      Our Lord teaches that the church should observe Lent till He come
      back. "The days will come when the bridegroom is taken from them,
      and then they will fast" (Matthew 9:15)

      Acts 13:2 says that the Christians at Antioch has been fasting and
      worshiping the Lord.

      "The completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them
      and sent them off" (Acts 13:3)
      ( Apostle had been fasting too)

      Besides Paul said "Much time had now passed and sailing had
      become hazardous because the time of the fast had already gone
      by.."
      ( Apostle Paul also observed Lent)

      There is more. But isn't this enough now?

      My brothern , our Lord , Apostles , our patrairchs , Early church
      fathers all observed Lents. Just look around the protestants now?

      I saw a protestant pastor eating Meat on holy week. You have
      to see "The passion" to get an idea what our Lord suffered for us.
      How can you eat and enjoy on week like that????

      You heart has to be that hard. That is why church is observing
      holy week as Lent, fasting and prayer. Look at the protestants?

      in our Lord

      Paul reji
      St. Igantious church
      Dallas