Re: [SOCM-FORUM] Patriarchal Encyclical for Lent 2002

  • Fr. John Kunjukunju
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2002
      I fully agree with Bar Eetho Briro Dr Babu Paul. If I remember correctly, Mor Ougen Bava used to send Kalpana on all important occasions, like Xmas, Easter, Catholicate day, Seminary day, etc. I used to hold candle while reading. At least such things should be kept aloof from disputes. Fr John KK.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2002
        Dear Sir,
        Catholica also has issued a lenten msg
        Hence I wanted to only supreme head does it ?e
        The question here is doing same as Patriarch(oppathinoppam).
        If he is called HH you for same HH or HHH.
        If Pariarch has such a practice,we will improve upon it.
        After all,weare better.(There are many who is sitting in St Peters
        throne.But we are the only one in St.Thomas throne)
        Issuing good instructions(Prabhodanam) are good
        Why stop with bishops all Coris also can do it
        (I believe they are bishops equivalent).
        Regards
        vmt
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2002
          Dear Brothern,

          Sabha asuran Mor Vattasseril Dionasius to be declared as 'saint' by the
          'Manorama church' heads !!! Really WONDERFUL news !! ??????

          Joshy
        • dipu george
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 25, 2002

             what is the sigificance of lighting candles in our prayers . does it have any symbolism?

            or is it a portugese latina custom which we follow

            aloho ahmuch

            dipu george

            Do You Yahoo!?
          • Fr. John Kunjukunju
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 26, 2002
              Candle symbolizes "Christian". As the candle is made up of wax collected from various kinds of flowers and made into one, so is Christianity made of various nations and gentiles, etc.
              It also symbolizes St John the Baptist and his saying, "You may increase, I may decrease." That is, reminding the spirit of humility and love for others. Self-sacrificing love is the underlying factor. A Christian is supposed to sacrifice his own self for the good of other as Christ did - of course that is totally forgotten these days.
              There is a practical side also. In olden days when there was no electricity it was a source of light. Here again, a Christian ought to be the light of the world, it reminds, love, Johnachan.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
                I am sorry to note that a posting of the Patriarchal Encyclical on
                Lent has engendered a discussion on who can and cannot issue such
                encyclicals, rather than reflection on or discussion of the
                exhortations contained therein. As I mentioned in the original
                posting, the tradition of reading the Patriarch's encyclical at the
                Qotne Sunday is ancient. Unfortunately, in Malankara, despite the
                good intentions of those who wish to maintain the spiritual ties with
                the Holy See of Antioch, such encyclicals from the Patriarch have not
                been translated and distributed to churches in a timely fashion. It
                is hence not surprising that many of us from Malankara are probably
                unaware of such a tradition. These encyclicals have been historically
                lengthy and I wonder how many of our staunch faithful would endure
                the reading of the encyclical. Given that, it is impractical to
                suggest that bishops should also issue an encyclical on the same
                subject.

                - Thomas