Byzantine Patriarch Bartholomaios broadens executive council

  • John Philip
    Message 1 of 1502 , Feb 19, 2004
      Patriarch broadens top council
      http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics
      _100014_19/02/2004_39786

      Ecumenical Patriarch Vartholomaios has decided to
      broaden the executive council of the Istanbul-based
      Patriarchate, bringing in six bishops from outside
      Turkey as of March 1, the Athens News Agency reported
      yesterday.

      The six from outside Turkey will include the archbishops
      of America, Britain and Crete — Demetrios, Gregorios
      and Ierotheos, respectively.

      The remaining six council members will come from Turkish
      provinces. The change, which was among the goals listed
      by Vartholomaios following his enthronement in 1991,
      aims to start tackling the problems caused when Greeks
      started leaving Turkey early this century.

      The Patriarchate in Istanbul is currently involved in
      a battle with the Church of Greece over who has authority
      over the naming of bishops in sees that became part of
      Greece after the Balkan Wars early last century. One of
      the criticisms aimed at the Patriarchate is that it
      represents very few actual members of the Church.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members

        In our Lords Love