Friend in Need

  • V Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2002
      Nature

      Dear all,

      Mr.E.H.Burtan is a gentle looking  decent man on any counts.

      He was  fairly well established in business.

      Once a known person in bankruptcy approaches him for a job.

      This person  by drinking and poor habits has already become

      week and aged,eventough he was only 35.Burton asks what he knows or what can he do best..

      He says he was a good swimmer in younger days.He offers him a job to swim

       around creek of Tarumi  to locate the currents,from that afternoon.

      The job seeker was little  reluctant,as he was not in good shape nowadays..

      But had to accept as there was no other way and he had no money

      But  the story says,He never turned up from the swim.

      When asked whether he knew this will happen,Burtan shrugs

      his shoulder,smiles and say

      he did not had a vacancy at that time.

      This a story by the great story teller,W.Somerset Maugham by name

      "Friend in need'.When I read this story recently,I thought many of friends and well-wishers

      who ask is to attend the association are like this.?They very  well know we will not

      recover after that.

      Regards

      vmt