Seminar The Bible of Edessa

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1502 , Mar 26, 2004
      From 1 to 6 August, the Eighteenth Congress of the
      International Organization for the Study of the Old
      Testament will be held in Leiden, The Netherlands. In
      conjunction with this congress, there will be additional
      meetings for scholars specializing in Targum, Septuagint
      and Hexapla, and Masoretic studies.

      Those interested in the Peshitta will be pleased to hear
      that one of the seminars within the IOSOT conference
      itself will be dedicated to the New English Annotated
      Translation of the Syriac Bible. The programme is as
      follows:

      Seminar The Bible of Edessa, IOSOT Conference, Monday,

      2.30 Bas ter Haar Romeny (Leiden),
      "The New English Annotated Translation of the Syriac
      Bible and its Textual Basis"

      3.00 Wido van Peursen (Leiden),
      "Linguistic Aspects of NEATSB: Clause Combining,
      Translation, and Transmission"

      3.30 David Taylor (Oxford),
      "Biblical Commentaries in NEATSB: The Example of
      Daniel of Salah on the Psalms"

      4.00 Tea break

      4.30 David Shepherd
      (Briercrest College and Seminary, Caronport, SK)
      and Heidi Szpek
      (Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA),
      "Rendering `Flesh and Bones': The Peshitta of Job
      and its Translation"

      5.00 Gillian Greenberg (UCL, London),
      "Pride or Precision? Translating the Peshitta of Jeremiah"

      5.30 General discussion on the papers of the seminar
      and on the NEATSB presentation in Aramaic Studies 2 (2004),
      pp. 85–106.

      Full information on the IOSOT Congress, as well as the
      IOTS, IOSCS, and IOMS Congresses, can be found on the
      Conference website: http://www.leidenuniv.nl/gg/iosot2004/

      Please note that proposals for papers for IOSOT should be
      in before the end of March, and that the special fee for
      those registering early (80 euros) is valid until the end
      of April only. After 30 April the IOSOT registration fee
      will be 115 euros. Student prices are 50 and 85 euros
      respectively.
      In HIS Love
      Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      Cheppaud, Alleppy (Dist), Kerala, India