Angles - Part 1

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , Feb 22, 2004
      Here is a study of angels.

      Most of the source is Coptic church websites,Catholic
      Encyclopedia, Kaniyamparmabil achan's Bible
      interpretation and some from protestant websites. I
      have used [ ] to denote they are from protestant
      websites. I am not sure if our church teaches that
      way. Hopefully some priests like Moolayil achan and
      Fr.Biji or learned people like Dr.Babu Paul etc read
      this and correct or add to this. Hope this is helpful
      to all.

      The angels

      Who are they?
      What are their numbers?
      What are their ranks and types?
      What are their duties?
      Are their guardian angels?
      What does the Bible teach about them?
      Was Satan an angel and why did he fall?

      1) Who are the angels?

      "Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of
      fireĀ“(Psalm 104:4)

      Angels are spirit beings who serve God. In the Old
      Testament angels are spirits created by God and
      subordinate to Him. They worship Him as members in His
      court (Daniel 7:10)and serve Him by intervening in
      human affairs, bringing divine messages (Genesis 22:11-12),
      protecting and aiding his people (1 Kings 19:5;
      Psalm 91:11)

      and smiting their enemies (2 Kings 19:35).

      In the New Testament the Greek word for angel is "angelos"
      Whereas in classical Greek an angelos was a messenger who
      represented the one sending him and who enjoyed the protection
      of the gods.

      In the Old Testament "malak" was used for both human
      messengers and angels.The Septuagint translators used angelos
      for malak when they understood it to refer to angels.

      [Warning , we should not worhip angels. Let no man beguile you
      of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of
      angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen,
      vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,"(Col 2:18 )

      When John, during his vision of things to come, fell down to
      worship the messenger what was the angel's response?

      Rev. 19:10 "And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he
      said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant,
      and of they brethren that have the testimony of Jesus:
      worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of
      prophecy."

      We should worship God and God alone. To do otherwise
      breaks the first two commandments.]

      NEXT--->The Nature of Angels

      Regards

      Paul