Greetings...

  • Emil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2001
      Thanks for welcoming me into the discussion group.

      My name is Emil Mishriky and I'm a Copt. in the Coptic Orthodox
      Diocese of Melbourne, living in Australia. I have joined this group
      to learn more about the Indian Orthodox Church (Malankara), which
      I've come to understand is a Church of the Syrian Orthodox (Antioch),
      under H.H. Patriarch Mar Ignatious Zakka. If this is correct, then
      am I safe in saying that the Indian Orthodox Church is an Oriental
      Orthodox Church (Non-Chalcedonian) in faith? with the Coptic Orthodox
      of Alexandria.
      Also, in the main page, it was mentioned that there are many schisms
      within the church. Why is this so?
      Is there Eastern (Byzantine) Orthodoxy in India?

      I guess this is a small start somewhere for me...

      In Christ,
      Emil, reader.
    • Daniel Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2001
        Dear Emil Mishriky,

        Let Our Lord's blessing with you

        As u assumed, we are one of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Our head is
        the Patriarch Of Antioch and all the east.

        There is no eastern orthodoxy in India so far.

        Regarding the schisms, one group within our church is trying to
        become an independent church under the Catholicos of East. This
        crated a very sad divisions and court cases by our brothers.

        We all Hope a day will come to end of this schisms. Please pray for
        that.

        Please also try to visit the following community and try to become a
        member of it.

        http://communities.msn.com/StGeorgeSyrianOrthodoxChurchCheppaud

        Be in touch with us

        In our Lord's Love

        Thomas Daniel

      • thomas_pa1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2001
          --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Daniel Thomas" <daniel_reji@h...> wrote:
          > Dear Emil Mishriky,
          >
          > Let Our Lord's blessing with you
          >
          > As u assumed, we are one of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Our head
          is
          > the Patriarch Of Antioch and all the east.
          >
          > There is no eastern orthodoxy in India so far.

          There is a Greek Orthodox mission based in Calcutta. Visit
          here:
          http://www.ocmc.org/countries/india/

          This mission calls themselves the "India Orthodox Mission"
          and claims that their mission is the first Orthodox mission
          in India after St. Thomas. In the future they may develop
          in to an "Indian (Greek) Orthodox Church", especially
          since a situation of tension exists in the true Orthodox
          Church in India (i.e. the Malankara Church).

          > Regarding the schisms, one group within our church is trying to
          > become an independent church under the Catholicos of East. This
          > crated a very sad divisions and court cases by our brothers.
          > We all Hope a day will come to end of this schisms. Please pray for
          > that.
          >
          > Please also try to visit the following community and try to become a
          > member of it.
          >
          > http://communities.msn.com/StGeorgeSyrianOrthodoxChurchCheppaud
          >
          > Be in touch with us
          >
          > In our Lord's Love
          >
          > Thomas Daniel

          The Malankara Church of India is an integral part of
          Oriental Orthodox communion. Established by St. Thomas
          in India, the Church accepted the Syrian rites against
          the rites imposed by Portuguese RC. The Malankara Church
          ordained their first "Mar Thomas" by their own priests
          laying hands of "Jathikku-Karthavyan" (leader of the
          community) Thoma and named him the first "Mar Thoma".
          Current succession of Malankara Church is from this
          "Mar Thoma". Malankara Church is divided in to Malankara
          Jacobite and Malankara Orthodox. Malankara Orthodox following
          the "Mar Thoma" lineage mantains the traditional identity
          of the Church and Malankara Jacobites increasingly
          adhere to traditions of West Syrians. Malankara Jacobites
          have several agreements with RC and Greek Orthodox. They
          also accept their sacraments (communion. marriage etc.)
          as valid in some cases.

          The Malankara Orthodox maintains strong ties with Coptic
          and Ethiopian Churches. The Malankara Orthodox also
          acknowledges the "Spritual" authority of Oriental
          Orthodox Patriarch of Anthioc while not accepting the
          intrusion of Patriarch in matters of internal administration
          which has caused much divisons in the past (formation of
          Mar Thoma Church, Thozhiyoor Church, Independent Knanaya
          Church just examples). The Church maintains that according
          to the protocol signed between Anthiocian Patriarch and
          Catholicos, the administrative authority of Malankara Church
          is the Holy Synod of India whose head is the Catholicose and
          "Mar Thoma". Malankara Jacobites on the other hands wants
          the Syrian Patriarch to rule the Oriental Malankara Church
          and are submitting Indian Churches of Malankara Nazranis
          to Syrians.

          In Christ,
        • Thomas Daniel
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
            Dear Thomas

            This style of argument and genre of writing is all too familiar to
            us. Many persons has for several years belittled the Patriarch and
            the Patriarch faction among Oriental Orthodox Christians on the
            internet, spreading the most blatant lies and gossip.

            As far as we concerned, the bottomline is that if the Catholicos
            faction thinks that they can subjugate the Patriarch faction they are
            dreaming. We have no intention of forcing the Catholicose faction to
            accept the authority of the Patriarch against their wishes; however,
            they are hell bent on forcing their authority over people who wish to
            be under the authority of the Patriarch through unethical means.
            Fortunately, we live in civilized societies where freedom of
            religious belief is a fundamental right and I am guarding mine very
            zealously!

            Keep in touch
            in Our Lords love
            thomas Daniel

          • thomas_pa1@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
              Sir,

              I personally do not believe in faction politics. I can understand
              your difficulties and emotions.

              When we have an example of Christ who belittled himself
              from birth to death, how can I belittle some one more
              than Christ did for himself? This is just a humble question.

              Unity is a simple, yet the most profound concept in Christian
              faith, especially Orthodox faith. What unites two churches is
              not worldly authorities and power, but the true faith. I am
              not forcing my thoughts upon you, but sharing something
              because as an Indian Christian, unity of spiritual sons of
              Apostle Thomas must be our first preference. Take each
              interaction our Indian Church had with foreign Churhces,
              you will see that each one caused a division in
              Indian Church. Why this? Why?

              I sincerely request you (and me too ) to study the true nature
              of Oriental Orthodox Christianity in the context of Coptic and
              Ethiopian Churches, since we all follow the basic faith preserved
              by the Coptic Church and also in our times follow the path of
              Patriarch Shenouda who is a saint among us.

              Sincerely,
              Thomas