What happens to pious hindus and muslims at Judgment ?

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      One question I have always pondered over is about
      good Hindus and good Muslims. What happens to them
      at the day of judgment ? Will they be condemned
      because they did not accept Jesus Christ as savior,
      even though they lived a very pious and morally
      correct life?

      I am sure some of my Orthodox Christian brethren who
      are members of this forum also have thought about that
      at some point in time. I recently read an interview
      with the Eastern Orthodox Archbishop Anastasios of
      Tirana and All Albania where the same question was
      posed to him. I found his answer very interesting and
      wanted to share it with the rest of you. Below is the
      question, and the answer of the Archbishop.

      Question:

      Those who have never encountered Christ, and may piously
      observe the rules of their own particular faith (for
      example, good Muslims), will they be saved?

      Answer:

      You know that the understanding of the other faiths
      is an extremely important theological question: Is God
      present in them? I do not think that we can answer this
      question very quickly. Today we face two major
      theological problems. The first is ecclesiological, it
      is the complex problem of how we see the other churches.
      And the second is the understanding of the other
      religions. Of course we accept that God has providence
      and interest for the whole world. We do not know clearly
      how this presence manifests itself. We know clearly what
      is the sure way for salvation to follow. As far as others
      are concerned, we have the responsibility to pray and to
      give them our witness, but we cannot take from Him the
      last judgment and say now just how He would judge others.
      And we must be a little more humble than some of our
      brothers who know everything about God, [and] behave
      like spokesmen of God: 'God will act like this or that.'
      Let us accept that we do not know the whole mystery of
      God, and we do not know about His infinite love. We must
      develop an understanding of other religions from an
      Orthodox point of view. We need to see this in the
      Trinitarian perspective and not only Christological. In
      some protestant circles it happens that they see this
      in Christological terms only. But in the Orthodox Church
      we consider that God's covenant has always extended to
      other peoples, to the whole creation. We also understand
      that the Spirit works in a freedom that we do not know.

      You can read the full interview from the link below:

      http://orthodoxytoday.org/articles/AnastasiosMission.shtml

      In Christ
      Mathew G M
      St.Johns Church, Ayyampalli