What is the name of our Lord God??

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2004
      I had posted this some time back and got
      no reply. Hopefully some one give a comment
      on it.

      Question is about Exodus 3:14
      What is the personal name of our God.

      The catholic (New America Bible ) uses
      "I AM WHO I AM" . But later uses 'I AM '
      sent me to you.

      - this verse makes me thing that our LORD's
      name is I AM. And they have foot note like this

      " apprently this utterance is the source of the
      word Yahweh the proper personal name of the God
      of Israel."

      - I am confused here. Did the LORD say 'YAHWEH'?
      - I understand the LORD is a usage substituted
      for the name 'YAHWEH'

      all english translations use 'I AM'
      http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Exodus+++3%3A14-
      15&NIV_version=yes&NASB_version=yes&MSG_version=yes&_version=yes&NL
      T_version=yes&KJV_version=yes&NLV_version=yes&ESV_version=yes&CEV_vers
      ion=yes&NKJV_version=yes&KJ21_version=yes&ASV_version=yes&WE_version=y
      es&YLT_version=yes&DARBY_version=yes&WYC_version=yes&NIV-
      UK_version=yes&language=english&x=20&y=8

      But George Lamasa's English Translation of Peshitta
      Bible as well as the Malayalam translation of the
      Peshitta Bible use the tem 'AHIAH ASHAR HIGH'

      "And God said to Moses, I am AHIAH ASHAR HIGH
      ( that is THE LIVING GOD); and he said, thus
      you shall say to the children of Israel AHIAH
      has sent me to you" ( LAMASA's translation '

      Note here the name of God is AHIAH ASHAR HIGH .

      Which is the Correct usage?? why such a change to
      the personal name of our LORD??

      Any comments will be helpful.

      regards

      Paul Reji