Holy Qurbana and our Priests

  • Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2004
      Dear Moderators,

      This letter is in response to the postings in these
      columns about our Holy Qurbana and about the views
      expressed by some people that it is too lengthy and
      irrelevant in modern times. One reason quoted by some
      of the members is that they do not understand what
      is going on in the church during the Holy Qurbana
      especially the Madbha. I have also heard these comments
      made by the young generation, especially those born
      and brought up outside Kerala, in North Indian cities,
      the Gulf countries, Europe and America.

      There are many reasons for this confusion.

      1.The young generation born and brought up outside Kerala
      do not generally learn proper Malayalam and naturally they
      do not understand our liturgy which we claim to be one of
      the most beautiful and ancient. (We did not even have our
      Sunday School Lessons in English until two years ago).

      2.Our Clergy who are posted outside Kerala do not have the
      education and training to converse with our youngsters in
      English which most of them understand better than Malayalam.

      3.Our Clergy who are posted outside Kerala are selected
      not on the merit of their education and dedication but merely
      by their influence on their godfathers in Malankara.

      4.The general interest of the priests posted in the Gulf
      countries is to make some quick money and secure a job
      for their spouses as soon as they arrive in the airport.

      5.In the gulf countries, it is a common sight to see
      these clergy to roam around in civil dress and in the
      Church also they wear the vestments of Anglican priests.

      6.The misbehaviour of these priests is exemplified by the
      recent incident in one gulf country where a priest prepared
      duplicate Qurbana and gave it to a believer as if it were
      the true blood and body of our Lord. Obviously this priest
      does not believe in our holy sacraments and our traditions.
      How are our youngsters going to learn the Orthodox faith
      from this priest?

      I suggest certain remedial measures.

      1.Our Church leadership should make some genuine efforts
      to make sure that the clergy are trained properly in our
      own theological seminaries with proper curriculum followed
      by an internship before they are ordained Deacon or Priest.

      2.Newly ordained priests should work under an experienced
      senior priest for at least 10 years before they are given
      independent charge of any Parish.

      3.Priests appointed abroad should have enough experience
      to look after a parish independently and should have a good
      working knowledge of the English language. They should be
      appointed on merit alone.

      4.Our priests should undergo refresher courses in our
      sacraments, pastoral care and theology at least once in
      every 5 years as is mandatory for every other profession.

      5.There should be a committee comprising of educated and
      senior members of the laity in each parish who are
      authorized by the concerned Metropolitan to monitor the
      pastoral and other activities of the Priest/Vicar.
      Disciplinary action should be taken by the appointing
      Metropolitan on erring clergy in an exemplary way. This
      will remove the wrong notion among some of the clergy that
      once ordained, they will remain in their position whatever
      the nonsense they practice.

      6.Our Church leadership should take initiative to
      popularize our Holy Qurbana liturgy in the English language.

      With regards
      In our Lord's service

      Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
      Sr. Mary;s Jacobite Syrian Church, Sharjah
      St.John, the Baptist Attamangalam Church, Kumarakom
    • Rev. Fr. Gheevarghese Manath
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2004
        ST. MARY'S JACOBITE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
        B-XI-2141, Hata Mohd Tair,
        Opp. C.M.C.H, Ludhiana
        Punjab
        (Under the Holy see if Antioch and the East)

        Dear members,

        St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Ludhiana
        came into existence in 2001. Our Church is a
        prominent constituent of the Jacobite Syrian Church of
        Malankara who have been a part of this country's
        culture since A.D. 52. Our church is registered as a
        society during the year 2001 with the sole aim to
        build a place of worship cum Education support centre
        to lend a helping hand to poor people. In order to
        translate this concept into practice, our members
        unanimously took a decision inspite of our financial
        constraints, to purchase a plot of land within
        Ludhiana District. We bought a piece of land in Vill.
        Bhamian, Tajpur road, Ludhiana for the purpose
        specified above.

        We are a very small group who find it extremely
        difficult to go ahead with further construction of the
        centre as per plan and program due to scarcity of
        funds.

        We therefore, appeal to you to kindly extend you whole
        hearted co-operation and closest support by way of
        sending your donations by Cheques/Drafts in favour of
        "St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church" to make
        this noble venture a grand success.

        Thanking you and God bless you all,

        In Christ,
        Fr. Gheevarghese Manath
        Vicar

        Correspondence Address:-

        Fr. Gheevarghese Manath (Vicar)
        St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian orthodox Church,
        B-XI-2141, Hata Mohd Tair,
        Opp. C.M.C.H, Ludhiana
        Punjab
        Tel :00 91 161 2570452
      • Mark Sadek
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2004
          "In accordance with God's most wise order in this
          world, one thing precedes another, and one is
          changed into another: dishonor and honor, poverty
          and wealth, health and sickness. Before bestowing
          wealth upon anyone, God often tries him by extreme
          poverty, depriving, on the other hand, the rich
          of everything; before honor, by dishonor; and
          those raised to honor, by humiliation, so that we
          may learn to value God's gifts, and not be proud
          in our prosperity, knowing that it is the gift
          of the Master, undeserved by us."

          St. John of Kronstadt.
          "My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and
          earth." Psalm 121:2
        • Shino Thomas Philip
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2004
            Dear all

            If any one know any website where we can download
            VALIYANOYAMBU PRARTHANAKAL in malayalam or english,
            please publish it in the forum.

            prayers

            Shino Thomas Philip
            St. James Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
            Doha Qatar