Two Books to read (Holy Qurbono & History of SOC)

  • George Kuruvilla
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2004
      Dear all,

      I am writing this letter to the FORUM to let
      everybody know that Dr.Kuriakose Corepiscopa
      Moolayil deserve the commendation for the hard
      work behind the publication of two books through
      the Mor Adai Study Center,Chenganachery as well
      as it may help the others.

      They are:

      The Eucharist Service of Syrian Christians
      written by Dr. Poulose Mor AthanasiusKadavil

      Suriyani Sabha Charithram(1st three centuries)
      written by H.H.Ignatius YakoobIII

      The first book is an outstanding one which gives
      the meaning and interpretation of the Holy
      Eucharist . Many books on this subject are
      available. But this one is praiseworthy.

      Our Moolelachan did a great job on it to make
      it suitable to the present time readers. This
      book will, also, give us a better knowledge
      about its author Kadavil Athanasius Thirumeni,
      how scholarly he was.

      The second book is the translation of the history
      of Syrian Orthodox Church during the first three
      centuries,which was in syriac, written by our
      Patriarch HH Ignatius Yakoob III.

      This book gives us a very good knowledge about
      how our holy fathers suffered and kept their faith.
      The foot notes given by respected Moolelachan at
      various pages are very informative and enlightening.

      Both books will help and illuminate the knowledge
      about our church. It can help us to teach in Sunday
      Schools better.

      If you read these books you will not have the feeling
      of �Holy Qurbana is boring�(for those who feel like it).

      Once again Congratulations to Moolelachan for the
      wonderful work.

      George Kuruvilla
      St.Thomas Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church,Pakkil, Kottayam
      St. Mary�s Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
      WhitePlains NewYork
    • Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2004
        Dear Moderators,

        This letter is in response to the postings in these
        columns about our Holy Qurbana and about the views
        expressed by some people that it is too lengthy and
        irrelevant in modern times. One reason quoted by some
        of the members is that they do not understand what
        is going on in the church during the Holy Qurbana
        especially the Madbha. I have also heard these comments
        made by the young generation, especially those born
        and brought up outside Kerala, in North Indian cities,
        the Gulf countries, Europe and America.

        There are many reasons for this confusion.

        1.The young generation born and brought up outside Kerala
        do not generally learn proper Malayalam and naturally they
        do not understand our liturgy which we claim to be one of
        the most beautiful and ancient. (We did not even have our
        Sunday School Lessons in English until two years ago).

        2.Our Clergy who are posted outside Kerala do not have the
        education and training to converse with our youngsters in
        English which most of them understand better than Malayalam.

        3.Our Clergy who are posted outside Kerala are selected
        not on the merit of their education and dedication but merely
        by their influence on their godfathers in Malankara.

        4.The general interest of the priests posted in the Gulf
        countries is to make some quick money and secure a job
        for their spouses as soon as they arrive in the airport.

        5.In the gulf countries, it is a common sight to see
        these clergy to roam around in civil dress and in the
        Church also they wear the vestments of Anglican priests.

        6.The misbehaviour of these priests is exemplified by the
        recent incident in one gulf country where a priest prepared
        duplicate Qurbana and gave it to a believer as if it were
        the true blood and body of our Lord. Obviously this priest
        does not believe in our holy sacraments and our traditions.
        How are our youngsters going to learn the Orthodox faith
        from this priest?

        I suggest certain remedial measures.

        1.Our Church leadership should make some genuine efforts
        to make sure that the clergy are trained properly in our
        own theological seminaries with proper curriculum followed
        by an internship before they are ordained Deacon or Priest.

        2.Newly ordained priests should work under an experienced
        senior priest for at least 10 years before they are given
        independent charge of any Parish.

        3.Priests appointed abroad should have enough experience
        to look after a parish independently and should have a good
        working knowledge of the English language. They should be
        appointed on merit alone.

        4.Our priests should undergo refresher courses in our
        sacraments, pastoral care and theology at least once in
        every 5 years as is mandatory for every other profession.

        5.There should be a committee comprising of educated and
        senior members of the laity in each parish who are
        authorized by the concerned Metropolitan to monitor the
        pastoral and other activities of the Priest/Vicar.
        Disciplinary action should be taken by the appointing
        Metropolitan on erring clergy in an exemplary way. This
        will remove the wrong notion among some of the clergy that
        once ordained, they will remain in their position whatever
        the nonsense they practice.

        6.Our Church leadership should take initiative to
        popularize our Holy Qurbana liturgy in the English language.

        With regards
        In our Lord's service

        Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
        Sr. Mary;s Jacobite Syrian Church, Sharjah
        St.John, the Baptist Attamangalam Church, Kumarakom
      • SOCM-Moderators
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2004
          Last week Lit Publications in Münster, Germany,published
          the doctoral thesis of Fr. Dr. Biji Chirathilattu, the
          vicar of our St. Mary's Congregation in Vienna, under
          the title "Prayers and Fasts according to Bar Ebroyo,
          A study on the prayers and fasts of the oriental
          churches". In his book, Fr.Dr. Biji goes beyond the
          age-old spiritual practises of his church based on the
          teachings of its canon giver Bar Ebroyo and delineates
          the formative influences as well as the present day
          significance of those teachings. It is a pioneering
          attempt to develop a theology of prayers and fasts from
          the oriental perspective. Almost all the pertinent
          questions regarding our prayers and fasts like why do
          we pray, how should we pray, rules and guidelines for
          prayers, the efficacy and norms of the fasts, the
          history of the fasts, the present day significance of
          the prayers and fasts etc are scholarly studied by the
          author. This book will be an enrichment to every Syrian
          Orthodox chruch believer.

          Pages 153, Price 24.90 Euro. ISBN 3-8258-6795-1.

          Only limited copies available. For copies contact
          Fr.Dr. Biji in the address

          Fr.Dr.Biji Chirathilattu Markose,
          Vicar, St.Mary's Syrian Orthodox Congregation Vienna,
          Hippgasse 25/2,A-1160 Wien, Austria.
          Ph.0043-1-9901975,
          Mobile: 06991-2741799;
          Email: bijiachan@...
          or
          The Lit Publications:
          Lit Verlag, Grindelberg 15a,
          20144 Hamburg,
          Tel.0049-40- 446446,
          Fax 0049-40-441422.
          Email: hamburg@... .

          For ordering through the ineternet
          http://www.lit-verlag.de/isbn/3-8258-6795-1.

          The book will be distributed in the North America by
          Transaction Publishers,
          Rutgers University, 35 Berrue Circle,
          Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA.
          Tel (732) 445-2280,
          Fax (732) 445-3138,
          toll free No for orders in the US (888) 999-6778.
        • Rev. Fr. Gheevarghese Manath
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2004
            ST. MARY'S JACOBITE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
            B-XI-2141, Hata Mohd Tair,
            Opp. C.M.C.H, Ludhiana
            Punjab
            (Under the Holy see if Antioch and the East)

            Dear members,

            St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Ludhiana
            came into existence in 2001. Our Church is a
            prominent constituent of the Jacobite Syrian Church of
            Malankara who have been a part of this country's
            culture since A.D. 52. Our church is registered as a
            society during the year 2001 with the sole aim to
            build a place of worship cum Education support centre
            to lend a helping hand to poor people. In order to
            translate this concept into practice, our members
            unanimously took a decision inspite of our financial
            constraints, to purchase a plot of land within
            Ludhiana District. We bought a piece of land in Vill.
            Bhamian, Tajpur road, Ludhiana for the purpose
            specified above.

            We are a very small group who find it extremely
            difficult to go ahead with further construction of the
            centre as per plan and program due to scarcity of
            funds.

            We therefore, appeal to you to kindly extend you whole
            hearted co-operation and closest support by way of
            sending your donations by Cheques/Drafts in favour of
            "St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church" to make
            this noble venture a grand success.

            Thanking you and God bless you all,

            In Christ,
            Fr. Gheevarghese Manath
            Vicar

            Correspondence Address:-

            Fr. Gheevarghese Manath (Vicar)
            St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian orthodox Church,
            B-XI-2141, Hata Mohd Tair,
            Opp. C.M.C.H, Ludhiana
            Punjab
            Tel :00 91 161 2570452
          • moderator_socm
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2004
              Dear SOCM members,

              My mom (Sosamma Mani Vadakedath) is seriously ill and on
              a Ventilator due to heart problems.

              I humbly request your prayer for God's will done on her.

              Babu Vadakedath
            • Mark Sadek
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24, 2004
                "In accordance with God's most wise order in this
                world, one thing precedes another, and one is
                changed into another: dishonor and honor, poverty
                and wealth, health and sickness. Before bestowing
                wealth upon anyone, God often tries him by extreme
                poverty, depriving, on the other hand, the rich
                of everything; before honor, by dishonor; and
                those raised to honor, by humiliation, so that we
                may learn to value God's gifts, and not be proud
                in our prosperity, knowing that it is the gift
                of the Master, undeserved by us."

                St. John of Kronstadt.
                "My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and
                earth." Psalm 121:2
              • Shino Thomas Philip
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2004
                  Dear all

                  If any one know any website where we can download
                  VALIYANOYAMBU PRARTHANAKAL in malayalam or english,
                  please publish it in the forum.

                  prayers

                  Shino Thomas Philip
                  St. James Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
                  Doha Qatar