Re: Showing no respect to St Thomas

  • Baby Gleeson Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004
      Dear C J Varghese,

      I dont think that Mr Paul Reji had shown any
      disrespect in his posting.

      As far as the Indian Christians are concerned,
      they "BELIEVE" that Apostle St Thomas came to
      India in 52 AD, was martyred in Chennai etc
      etc.( Not only you, i too "BELIEVE" that)

      But i dont think that we can claim the arrival
      of St Thomas to be part of "HISTORY". Because
      when we claim that its part of "HISTORY", we
      have to proove it.

      And we dont have anything to proove except for
      some stories.

      But inturn there are many facts which go counter
      to our "BELIEF" that St Thomas came to India, like,

      1. Absence of brahmins in kerala in first century.
      (Brahmins came to kerala from konkan in later stages)

      2. The "Belief" that St Thomas converted only the
      Brahmins. The deciples went out to convert the
      gentiles. Not to convert the "high class" and i
      dont think that St Thomas wound have gone only
      after the brahmins for propogating christianity.

      3. The absolute absence of any proof of clergy
      and liturgy in the indian church, in the initial
      centuries. When the clergy and liturgy could
      survive in many places known for annihilating
      christians, there is no way it could not have
      survived in kerala.

      4. The claim of establishing the seven and a half
      'Cross', which became a Christian symbol only in
      the fourth century.

      So definitly we cannot claim that the arrival of
      St Thomas in India is part of "History". But it
      is part of our "FAITH AND BELIEF" that St Thomas
      is the Apostle of India.

      To answer Christofer Mathews,

      I believe in the miracles of Jesus Christ and that
      He had truly resurrected from the dead. Wheather
      its part of history or not i dont bother, because
      for me its part of my "belief and faith" and i dont
      need any historical or scientific proof for it.
      (Same is the case with the arrival of St Thomas)

      I have never claimed that the Gospels are the
      property of Syrian Orthodox Church. Rather the
      Gospels is the property of humanity. But the
      traditions of "Syrian Orthodox Church" is the
      property of the "Syrian Orthodox Church". But
      even if some people start copying those traditins,
      there is no way something can be done about it.
      It only shows on the integrety of those people.
      On one side you banish everything even remotly
      "foreign". And on the other side you copy
      exatly what those "foreigners" do.

      The marthomites should be appreciated in this
      regard. At least they made some changes in the
      liturgy.

      regards
      Baby Gleeson Zachariah
      St George Jacobite Syrian Church