Establishing church by our Lord

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      Matthew 16:13-19, reads like this( all quotes from NIV)

      "When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his
      disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

      They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and
      still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

      "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

      Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,the Son of the living God."

      Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not
      revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you
      that you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church, and the
      gates of Hades will not overcome it.I will give you the keys of the
      kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in
      heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven"

      Again our Lord in John 21:15-17

      When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son
      of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
      "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."

      Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

      16)Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
      He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."

      Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

      17)The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love
      me?"
      Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love
      me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
      Jesus said, "Feed my sheep...."

      What can we learn from this???

      1) Jesus Christ established only one church ( He did not say
      churches )

      2) The keys to heaven are given to Apostle Peter. For those
      who rejecte Apostle Peter, how are they going to
      enter heaven???

      3) The priesthood, with ability to absolve or not to absolve
      the sins are given to Apostle Peter.

      4) Aaron, the High Priest of OT chruch had only power to
      pray to LORD for the forgivenes of the sins of the people.
      But in NT church, this authority was also given to
      Apostle Peter.

      5) Our Lord gave apostle Peter to administer every one
      in the church. [if you have doubt read above quotes one more
      time] This is the faith and tradition of all apostolic churches.
      [In all this Only Apostle Peter was involved. No one else. Think,
      why didn't our LORD call all apsotles and tell to all of them?
      Every time, Apostle Peter is called by his name and Commanded to
      him.]

      The reason?
      It is Father in Heaven's decision. "for this was not revealed to
      you by man, but by my Father in heaven". (Matthew 16:19).
      Or read ( in Malayalam)
      http://www.geocities.com/malankaraorthodoxfaith/Preface_1.htm
      Or ( in English)
      http://www.stignatious.com/articles/peter.htm

      Based on this words from our Lord, Any church not ruled by
      Apostle Peter is not our Lord's church. I have seen many
      interpretations by IOC and some others recently. But you read
      all that and think youself. I am being taken for a ride? I am i
      obeying my Lord?

      Do you want to challenge our LORD.??? I would not and I dont
      want to.

      In prayers
      Paul Reji
      St.Ignatious Church