Buddhist Kingdom of Bhutan Forbids Public Christian Prayer

  • Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      Hope our readers will be interested to read this
      and pray for the tolerence of the authorities and
      the deliverance of the affected.

      Moolelachen.
      ZENIT News Agency, The World Seen from Rome
      Code: ZE04012801
      Date: 2004-01-28
      Buddhist Kingdom of Bhutan Forbids Public Christian
      Prayer Government Fears Conversions, Says Bishop

      THIMPHU, Bhutan, JAN. 28, 2004 (Zenit.org).- In the
      Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan, Christians are forbidden
      to celebrate or pray in public and priests are denied
      visas to enter, says a bishop in neighboring India.

      Bishop Stephen Lepcha, whose Diocese of Darjeeling
      includes the kingdom, explained that Buddhism is the
      official religion of Bhutan, and every other form of
      religion and mission is prohibited. Until a few years
      ago, Christians who had emigrated there from India and
      Nepal were free to celebrate Mass in public.

      To read the full article, please visit
      http://zenit.org/english/