Why Syrian Orthodox?

  • George Aramath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2004
      In reading the comments made by the moderators about
      youth involvement in the forum, I would like to pose
      a question to ponder. This topic has been discussed
      in many youth gatherings.

      The youngsters in our church, particularly in the
      United States, are questioning the need to attend
      services at a Syrian Orthodox Church. The reasons
      are many. After they've attained the age to make
      decisions on their own, many seriously question the
      need to go to a Syrian Orthodox church. They may be
      influenced by their friends, significant other,
      society, etc. Plus, there's countless number of other
      churches to choose from. And when it comes to marriage,
      many do not even think about marrying into the same
      church (Syrian Orthodox).

      This is a serious issue in our North American Archdiocese.
      It must also be mentioned that this is not an issue that
      our church only faces. Other Malayalee churches in the
      U.S. face it, too. Nonetheless, I do not think that we
      should therefore ignore it.

      With this being the case, how should we respond? Yes,
      to an extent, we can only do so much. It is ultimately
      their decision. For Jesus did not force his teaching
      on others. But, on the other hand, he did not ignore
      them either. What arguments can we give them? What
      can the church do? What changes (if any) should be
      considered?

      Please share your thoughts, ideas, and comments.

      Thank you,
      George Aramath
      St. Ignatious, Dallas, TX