50 Day Lent begins today

  • Forum Moderator
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11 6:04 AM
      50 Day Lent begins today

      Lent is a time set apart in our church calendar by our holy fathers as a time to recharge our spiritual batteries through fasting and praying.

      Our evening prayer during lent says: "The Holy Lent is a sign of victory and a weapon that never fails against the evil enemy."

      As we prepare for the 50 day lent which starts on 11th Feb, let us pray that this Great Lent helps us to purify and strengthen our inner persons.

      Saint Ephrem's Hymns on Fasting says in Hymn 1.1

        The is the fast of the First Born, the first of his victories.

        Let us rejoice in his coming; for in fasting he has overcome.

        Though he could have overcome by any means,

        He revealed for us the strength hidden in fasting, Overcomer of All.

        For by means of it a man can overcome that one who with fruit overcame Adam;

        He became greedy and gobbled it. Blessed is the First-Born who encompassed

        Our weakness with the wall of his great fasting.

        Res: Blessed is the King who adorned the Holy Church with Fasting, Prayer and Vigil