Re: Kneeling during Qawmo

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2003
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      This refers to question of Mr. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      in the last Digest. According to the Eastern Church
      Fathers (Orthodox), the days on which the Kumbideel
      is not required are the 50 days from the Easter till
      the Pentecost and on all days when and where the
      faithful would attend the Holy Eucharist and would
      partake the Holy Eucharist.

      Suppose one has to attend and participate the Holy
      Eucharist on a Sunday, he/she need not kneel down
      during prayers from Sunday eve till Monday eve.
      When a faithful would partake the body and blood of
      our Lord, he/she becomes the part and parcel of the
      body of Christ, our Lord God. The principle behind
      such a teaching of restricting the kumbideel for
      certain days is that `when our Lord is in us and with
      us, we need not kneel down to adore/worship Him.

      In my knowledge the kneeling down is not restricted
      during the advent/25 days lent prior to the feast of
      incarnation of our Lord, except on days when one has
      to attend/participate the Holy Eucharist.

      In Malayalam we call `Sashtanga Pranamam' for the
      Kumbideel, which means worship with eight parts of
      the body. Whenever we kneel down and touch the ground
      with our forehead, we are supposed to remember and
      honor all our departed beloved ones, who have joined
      the ground as dust. It is worthy to remember that in
      the early centuries, the departed faithful were buried
      inside the churches and scarcity of space became a
      problem, the place of burial was taken to the courtyards
      of the Churches. In some of our old churches we could
      see the tombs/at least the evidence of tombs in the
      courtyards. Recently the scarcity of space in the
      courtyards has compelled us to have graveyards, not far
      away from the churches. So whenever we will kneel down
      in the church, we are obliged to seek the intercession
      of our departed ones.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      St. George Orthodox Church
      Abu Dhabi