70 kilometres east the capital of the Czech Republic,
Prague, lies a small town called Sedlec.
It might have been an ordinary enough town, if not for
its extraordinary church. The inside of this church is
decorated with artworks made of human bones.
The story begins in 1218, when a certain abbot Henry
made a pilgrimage to the holy land and brought back a
jar full of soil, which he spread over the Church's
cemetery. As a result the cemetery came to be regarded
as sacred and turned into a popular burial spot.
By 1318, more than 30,000 bodies were buried there and
by 1511, it had become necessary to remove the older
bones to make place for the new ones.
These later became the material for the macabre creations.
In 1870 a local woodcarver was hired by the Duke of
Shwartzenberg to decorate the inside of the church with
the human remains(approximately 40,000 sets of bones).
St. George JSO Chapel, Kavumbhagom, Thiruvalla
St. Mary's JSO Church, Queens Road, Bangalore