CHURCH OF BONES

  • Alex Jojo Joseph
    Message 1 of 1502 , Dec 5, 2003
      70 kilometres east the capital of the Czech Republic,
      Prague, lies a small town called Sedlec.

      It might have been an ordinary enough town, if not for
      its extraordinary church. The inside of this church is
      decorated with artworks made of human bones.

      The story begins in 1218, when a certain abbot Henry
      made a pilgrimage to the holy land and brought back a
      jar full of soil, which he spread over the Church's
      cemetery. As a result the cemetery came to be regarded
      as sacred and turned into a popular burial spot.

      By 1318, more than 30,000 bodies were buried there and
      by 1511, it had become necessary to remove the older
      bones to make place for the new ones.

      These later became the material for the macabre creations.

      In 1870 a local woodcarver was hired by the Duke of
      Shwartzenberg to decorate the inside of the church with
      the human remains(approximately 40,000 sets of bones).

      Regards
      Jojo

      St. George JSO Chapel, Kavumbhagom, Thiruvalla
      St. Mary's JSO Church, Queens Road, Bangalore
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members

        In our Lords Love