Name of our Lord

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , Nov 30, 2003
      I have some question regarding the name of our God.
      Here is what I know.

      According to catholic bibile name of our God is
      YAWH. (Exodus 3:14). The usage "Jhehova" is a
      mis-usage for the lack of knowledge of Hebrew
      language. But later the translators used the
      word LORD ( notice all in block letters) to
      represent the proper name of our God, because
      they were afraid to even write the proper name
      of our God.

      But the usage by George M Lamasa's Peshitta
      tranlation uses this way . I belive Peshitta
      translation by Our Rev. Dr. Curian Kaniyamparambil
      achan also uses the same way.

      "And God said to Moses, I am AHIAH ASHAR HIGH
      ( that is THE LIVING GOD); and he said, thus
      you shall say to the children of Israel AHIAH
      has sent me to you"

      Note here the name of God is AHIAH ASHAR HIGH .

      But in King James "And God said unto Moses I
      AM THAT I AM; and he said, thus shalt thou say
      unto the children of Israel I AM hath sent
      me unto you"

      Naturaly there is some comfusion here. three names
      are used. But only one could be correct. There
      is a name which our God told Moses. That is a
      proper name and one should not translate it. What
      was it? and how come this versions?

      With the same way, why or who did English translation
      of "Yesu" to Jesus and like altered the names of our
      Lord, Mother of God, Marium ( not Mary) and names
      of all apostles.

      Is this correct?
      Paul Reji
      St Ignatius Church