Re: Special Posting From Moderators

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003
      Some people say that there was a letter from the
      middle Eastern council of OO churches addressed
      to the Malnakara Church. The middle- eastern council
      consisting of Patriarch Zakka 1, Pope Shenouda and
      Catholicos Aram 1 (Armenian Catholicos of Cilicia)
      sent a letter to HH. Baselius Mar Thomas Mathews 11
      in 1998 related to the crisis in the Malankara Church.

      Those who popogate about the validity of this letter
      should note few things.

      1. Lay people should not intervene in such letters.
      It is an official matter with the middle-eastern
      (which has very limited scope). The Holy Synod must
      have replied to it. our lay people must not intervene
      in official matters, such as letters addressed to
      the Holy Synod etc.

      Also the letter was not addressed to the Holy SYnod.
      It was a personal letter to H.H. Catholicos of the
      East. H.H. must have replied to it.

      With out knowing the truth we should not propogate
      rumors in an unchristian way. Truth may be very
      different.

      2. The scope and charter of Middle-eastern council
      of OO is limited only to the matters of OO in the
      middle-east (Arab world). Hence it has no role in
      the matters of Malanakara or in other OO regions (Such
      as Armenia, Ethiopia, Eritrea etc).

      Also SOC has significant influence in the middle-eastern
      Arab council. They must be telling all kinds of stories
      against the Malankara Orthodox. We need to investigate
      this further and help sister churches to learn the true
      story.

      3. Catholicate of Cilicia has a limited tole in the OO.
      It is just a jurisdiction under the Catholicate of all
      Armenians in Etchmiadzin.

      What is acceptable?

      Acceptable solution is to convene the Universal Synod
      of Oriental Orthodox including Catholicos of All
      Armenians, Ethiopian Patriarch , and Eritrean Patriarch.
      Since we have significant agreements with the Eastern
      Orthodox, various Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs can be
      invited as observers.

      Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church of the East should
      bring to the attention of OO churches various deviations
      of the SOC.

      We need to work against reducing the Universal OO
      Church merely in to an Arab entity.

      - Thomas P
      From the desk of moderators

      Dear Mr. Thomas P, the referred subject was not
      propagation. We already published the full text
      of the letter. We are trying to get the reply from
      Catholicose H.H. Baselious Marthoma Mathews II.
      As soon as we have it, will be published it too.
      Mean time if you can get the copy of the particular
      reply, please forward it to us and will be
      published it in this forum. Thanks for being with us.