Feast Day of Mor Yacqub Burd`ono

  • Alex Jojo Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2003
      Mor Yacqub Burd`ono (Jacob Baradeus)

      Day of Rememberance : November 28th

      We do celebrate the rememberance of the Holy Father, Mor Yacqub
      Burd`ono, celebrity of Edessa , one among the real chief of the
      Syrian Church (known after him as Jacobites) tomorrow the 28th of
      November 2002.

      I am not re-phrasing history again,but on this occasion let me try
      to draw few parallels..

      >By the year 544, the Syriac Church was in an abysmal situation with
      >only three bishops remaining. It was at this time that Mor Yacqub
      >Burd`ono (Jacob Baradeus) emerged to rejuvenate the Church. Mor
      >Yacqub traveled to Constantinople for an audience with Empress
      >Theodora, the daughter of a Syriac Orthodox priest from Mabbug
      >according to Syriac Orthodox sources, and wife of Emperor Justinian.
      >Theodora used her influence to get Jacob ordained as bishop in 544.

      Did we see a similar situation in Malankara through end 90s and
      early 2000?Didn't we see our beloved Bava Thirumeni traveling to
      Damascus?

      >Later, Mor Yacqub would travel across the entire land reviving the
      >Church. He managed to consecrate 27 bishops and hundreds of priests
      >and deacons.

      Can we draw a parallel here with days now..?

      > A few centuries later, adversaries labeled the Syriac Orthodox
      >Church `Jacobite' after St. Jacob. Earlier,The Universal Syriac
      >Orthodox Church rejected this belittling label which wrongly
      >suggested that the Church was founded by Mor Yacqub.We, The
      Malankara
      >Church is proud to have this name till date as we do know what it
      >means and do understand how much our church-leaders have suffered in
      >the past.

      Can we still see the same effort from few of our brothers around..

      Food for thought: Because of the efforts of the great saint,our
      church could sail through the then turbulent waters..and we are in
      this decade..lost in storm again..Its our turn NOW.

      O Lord, your faithful servant Mor Yacqub Burd`ono, your beloved
      one, has preached your divinity to us. Through his intercession and
      for the sake of the Mother of God, guard your Church and your flock
      from their enemies, O most merciful Christ our God!

      With Prayers
      Jojo