Mar Yakoub Burdhono, the sculptor of the Syrian Orthodox Church

  • Dr. PAUL SAMUEL
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2003
      MAR YAKOUB BURDHONO, the sculptor of the Syrian
      Orthodox Church

      Syrian Orthodox Christians are really very proud to
      bear the nickname 'Jacobites' as the name lends to the
      most powerful and magnanimous figure in the history of
      the Syrian Orthodox Church. Each of its members is
      delighted to hear this name being called. The name
      Jacobites were given to us as a nickname because we
      were the followers of Mar Yakoub Burdhono. As we
      celebrate the 'dukhrono' of our church's most
      important and the most eminent Bishop on Nov.28, I
      would like to share you some facts about this name and
      other important incidents associated with the name
      Jacob and our Holy Church.

      The Syrian Orthodox Church has three very important
      Jacobs, not withstanding the numerous others who have
      sacrificed their entire life to the Holy Church, which
      is the body of the Son of God.

      The first one is Jacob, the Great, the man in the Old
      Testament, son of Isaac. When we think of Jacob, the
      Great in relation to church, we see that this Jacob
      symbolically showed the inception of Church and laid
      the baseline foundation of it. Jacob saw in his dream
      angels ascending and descending the ladder to Heaven.
      Upon awakening, he erected a stone, consecrated oil
      upon it and offered sacrifice to God. This way he
      symbolized the great sacrifice and inception of Holy
      Church. This Old Testament incident was not a miracle;
      rather it was the will of God.

      The second most prominent character with the name
      Jacob who comes into picture is Jacob, the brother of
      Jesus Christ. He was not among the Apostles. He was
      blood related to Jesus and so he got the opportunity
      to celebrate the Holy Mass first. Our Lord himself
      taught him the liturgy, now called as Anaphora of Mar
      Yakoub. (St: John the Apostle who was the most pious
      and celibate man among the Apostles got only a second
      chance in celebrating the Holy Mass!).Jacob (Mar
      Yakoub) later said, "I have neither added nor omitted
      anything to it (the Anaphora)". This anaphora or the
      Divine Liturgy is still used by Syrian Christians
      without omitting or adding anything to it till now.
      And in fact we are the only Christians in the world
      who offer the Holy Mass as taught by our Lord Jesus
      Christ. In this way Jacob, the brother of Jesus
      revealed the real principle, which was only symbolized
      by Jacob, the Great. This incident was not a miracle;
      rather it was the will of God.

      The third and the last prominent character with the
      name of Jacob is Mar Yakoub Burdhono, who can be
      rightly called as the sculptor of the modern Syrian
      Orthodox Church .The church's base line was laid down
      by Jacob, the Great symbolically. Our Lord himself
      built it upon the great rock. St: Peter. St: Peter for
      us is a synonym for the true faith and upon the true
      faith church was built. Gates of hell can never
      overturn it. And this was shown by the coming of Mar
      Yakoub Burdhono to the forefront of the Syrian
      Orthodox Church. Because the Church had truth in it,
      the powers of hell couldn't defeat it and Mar Yakoub
      Burdhono was raised from Constantinople when Church
      was in severe trouble.

      There was truth in the Son of God and that's why the
      Jews became envious and they insulted and persecuted
      our Lord. Because there was truth in our Church, it is
      being persecuted for various reasons all over the
      world. Because there is truth in our Church, we were
      insulted being called upon as Jacobites. But it was
      the will of God, to name it like that and we are proud
      now being called so. So great is the value of the name
      Jacob as we have seen above with regard to the various
      names in the Church history.

      In my opinion, Mar Yakoub Burdhono should be called as
      the sculptor of modern Syrian Orthodox Church. The
      Church that was created by our Lord and served by
      Apostles was mutilated by persecutions under the
      influence of Satan. The mutilated church was given a
      new shining and powerful face by God through the hands
      of mar Yakoub Burdhono.

      Let's pray to God to give us more efficient hands to
      protect the Holy Church form persecutors.
      Let's intercede to Mar Yakoub Burdhono to give power
      to our Holy Church's leaders.

      Let's intercede to him to give strength and ability to
      our beloved HH Patriarch and HB Thomas I Catholicose
      to cruise the sea of turbulence.
      Let's pray for our Church.

      Let's keep a vow that we will never allow anyone to
      mutilate the face of our Church that was nurtured and
      nourished by Holy Fathers and Saints

      Mar Yakoub Burdhono pray for us

      (Ref: "Jacobites" written by Late Lamented Sleeba Mor
      Osthathios Bava entombed at Kunnamkulam).

      Dr. PAUL SAMUEL
      St: Peters Jacobite Syrian Simhasana church
      Thiruvananthapuram