H.H's Letter No. E 137/98 to Mar Baselious Marthoma Mathews II

  • SOCM-Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2003
      No. E 137/98.

      Mar Baselious Marthoma Mathews II
      Catholicose of the East
      Catholicate Aramana Kottayam, Kerala, India.

      Dear Brother in Christ,

      July 24, 1998

      We thank you for your letter dated. April 24, 1998.
      We are not happy with its contents. You have quoted
      in it several portions from the judgment of the Hon.
      Supreme Court, which are suited to your contentions.
      Their Graces the Metropolitans of the Patriarch
      faction and their representative Committees have
      discussed it and prepared a reply to all the points
      which you raised in your letter. We enclose herewith
      the same for your information. Our communication to
      you dated. March 21, 1998, was sent to see that our
      spiritual children in Malankara unify on the basis
      of the verdict of the Hon. Supreme Court, since the
      binding nature of the 1934 constitution is also
      included in the judgment and decree of the Hon.
      Supreme Court.

      We were disappointed to learn that the representative
      Committee of the two factions could not come to an
      agreement and there was no further attempt for mutual
      discussion. We wish to impress up on you that a
      meaningful and lasting unification and peace as
      desired by the Hon. Supreme Court can be brought out
      only by accommodating every spectrum of the Malankara
      Church. It is needless to stress that the specifics
      of the exercise have to be worked out in Malankara
      with mutual respect and brotherhood through discussions
      among the members of the two factions. We assure you
      our prayers and co-operation in your efforts to bear
      fruitful witness to our Lord.

      With best wishes, yours in Christ,
      Patriarch of Antioch and All the East
      Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church

      Enc: Resolutions passed in the Synod, Working Committee
      & Managing, Committee of the Patriarchal faction,
      as reply to the points raised in your letter dated.
      April 24, 1998.

      Copies to: 1. H. E. Metropolitan Mor Clemis Abraham,
      Working President of our Church in Malankara,
      Patriarchal faction.

      2. H. E. Metropolitan Mor Gregorios Geevarghese,
      President of the Holy Episcopal Synod in Malankara
      of the Patriarchal faction.