Re: What is the truth of the matter ?

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2003
      Dear Eldo Daniel,

      I am not an expert on Church History. Having said that,
      the following is what I know about your two questions:

      1. The very first split between Bava Kakshi and Metran
      Kakshi occured in the year 1910. It was in this year
      when the then Malankara Metrapolitain Mor Dionysius VI
      Geevarghese (Wattasseril Thirumeni) was excommunicated
      by Patriarch Mor Ignatius Abdulla II, the same Patriach
      who ordained Wattasseril Thirumeni as a Metrapolitain
      just 3 years before. A section of the Malankara Church
      sided with the excommunicated Wattesseril Metran and
      came to be known as Metran Kakshi. Those who stood with
      the Patraichese Bava came to be known as Bava Kakshi.
      Following the excommunication of Wattesseril Thirumeni,
      the Patriarch appointed HG Paulose Mor Kurillos
      (Kochuparambil Thirumeni) as the Malankara Metropolitain.
      Following the demise of Kochuparambil Paulose Mar Kurilose
      Thirumeni in 1917, HG Paulose Mar Athanasious (Aluva Valia
      Thirumeni) became the Malankara Metropolitain.

      The Year 1934
      -------------
      The year 1934, that you have quoted also is a significant
      year in Malankara Church history. In this year Wattesseril
      Thirumeni summonned a Malankara Association. Since he was
      excommunicated by the Patriarch, the Bava Kakshi boycotted
      this association summonned by him. It was in this association,
      the 'Constitution' of the Indian Orthodox Church' was adopted,
      in the absence of any 'Bava Kakshi' members.
      2 ) Prior to the split everyone accepted the spiritual
      authority of the Patriarch. The cause of the split was never
      over the spiritual authority of the Patriarch. The dispute over
      the 'spiritual authority' of the Patriarch of Antioch is a very
      recent one. It is note worthy to say that even "Wattesseril
      Thirumeni" never questioned the spiritual authority of the
      Patriarch. Even the 1934 "Constitution" clearly says in its
      first paragraph that the "Malankara Church" is a part of Syrian
      Orthodox Church and is headed by the Patriarch of Antioch.

      The argument, that with the establishment of the 'Catholicate'
      the spiritual authority of the Patriarch has decreased to a
      vanishing point, a very recent one, only as old as a couple
      of years.

      In the book 'Mathopadesa sarangal' authored by Wattesseril
      Thirumeni, in item # 6 he says "the source of priesthood in
      the church is from His Holiness Patriarch Moran Mar Ignatiuis,
      who reigns on the Throne of Antioch". The above is my
      translation. The original words of Wattesseril Thirumeni in
      malayalam reads as "Sabhayude pattathwathinadutha meladhikaram
      Antiochia simhasanathil vazhunna Moran Mar Ignatiuis
      Patriarchese Bawa thirumassil erikkunnu". It is altogether
      another story that in the recent editions of this book, it
      has been modified by the publishers as "Sabhayude
      pattathwathinadutha meladhikaram Catholica simhasanathil vazhunna
      Moran Mar Baselius Catholica Bawa thirumassil erikkunnu".

      http://www.geocities.com/malankarav5/20030217VattasserilMangalam.htm

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M