Re: Vattaserri Thirumeni

  • Zachariah Minnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2003
      Dear V Thomas,

      There is no 'official' proof that St Gregorious was
      against ordaining Vattaserri as a ramban or bishop.

      But circumstances show that St Gregorious was not
      happy in elevating Vattaseri achen to ramban.

      Both Kochuparambil thirumeni and Vattaserri were
      deciples of St Gregorious, and as you have rightly
      pointed out Kochuparambil achen became a ramban much
      before Vattaserri. Kochuparambil achen became a ramban
      when St Gregorious was alive. It may be noted that
      Vattaserri was a priest even during the demise of St
      Gregorious.

      Here I will share with you what my grandfather told
      me.( He had got this information from people who were
      alive and were active in church during the times of St
      Gregorious)

      Chathuruthil St Gregorious was very strict in keeping
      the faith and traditions of the church intact. You
      only have to go through the "shalmoosa" of St Gregorious
      or to get an idea on this. ( i dont think even the most
      extremist jacobite can follow that "shalmoosa" word by word)

      Now as per the traditions of our church a monk(priest
      or ramban or bishop)or a nun is a sacrifise made by
      the family for the church and inturn to the Lord.

      There are scores of instances in the bible which
      teaches us that when a 'sacrificial lamp' is offered
      to the Lord it should be the best, without any faults.

      This is the same reason why our ancestors have taught
      us to give to the church the best of whatever you
      have. For eg after the harvest is over, people give
      the best of the harvest to the local parish. They wont
      select an item which lacks in some way.

      Since St Gregorious was very strict in keeping the
      traditions of the church, the saint may have kept away
      from ordaining Vattaserri.

      Ofcource whatever i have written above have come to me
      by word of mouth

      rgds
      GLEESON

      PS. When Vattaserri came back to Malankara from
      Jerusalem after being ordained as a bishop( By HH
      Ignatious Abdulla, who is not a 'cannonical' Patriarch
      as per IOC...Just imagine its as good as saying that
      their "bhasuran" is without proper ordination) he was
      received at alwaye railway station by the church. When
      he was getting down from the train, the staff which he
      was holdig, slipped from his hands and fell in the
      platform. The staff broke into two in front of all
      people. Probably it was a sign given by our Lord on
      what is in store for Malankara Church.
      From the desk of Moderators

      To read the "Shalmootho" of St. Gregorious Of Malankara
      In Malayalam
      http://www.parumalathirumeni.com
      In English
      http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/MGregoriusGChathuruthil/18761216shalmootho.html