Faith is the door to mysteries

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2003
      Faith is the door to mysteries. What the bodily eyes are
      to sensory objects, the same is faith to the eyes of the
      intellect that gaze at Hidden Treasures. Even as we have
      two bodily eyes, we possess two eyes of the soul, as the
      Fathers say; yet both have not the same operation with
      respect to divine vision. With one we see the hidden
      glory of God which is concealed in the natures of things;
      that is to say, we behold His might, His wisdom, and His
      eternal providence for us which we understand by the
      magnitude of His governance on our behalf. With this same
      eye we also behold the heavenly orders of our fellow
      servants. With the other we behold the glory of His holy
      nature. When God is pleased to admit us to Spiritual
      Mysteries, He opens wide the sea of faith in our minds.

      ----Saint Isaac the Syrian,
      The Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac the Syrian,
      Holy Transfiguration Monastery