Re: Divotional thoughts for sunday -26th Oct 03

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      Let me add a few words about the reply to the
      last devotional thoughts by Mr. Varghese in
      Digest #722.

      But the bible words teach us that a rich man's wish
      and ignorance that he can inherit eternal life with
      his richness. Jesus replies that richness is not
      the criteria for inheriting the enternal life. Though
      he was rich, he was not following the five commandments
      pointed out by Jesus. Jesus might have known that he
      became rich by foul means not obeying the commandments
      in his life.

      My sincere intention was to mention that the ruler,
      even though he was immensely rich, he was willing to
      enquire the way to eternal life. Many of us are not
      at all bothered to have an initiative to achieve eternity,
      though we have achieved so many guide lines for it.
      That's all. The portion of the Scripture under discussion
      is not telling specifically that the ruler was not
      practicing the five commandments pointed out by our Lord.
      (The ruler has stated that he was following those
      commandments from his childhood. Why can't we take those
      words in the face value?) Still our Lord is telling that
      he has a draw back. I am sure that if our Lord is counting
      my drawbacks, they will be innumerable.

      All of you must kindly pray for me too. At the same time,
      the Holy Bible does not deny the entry of a rich man into
      heaven. But the rich as well as the poor have to follow
      certain principles. If one has accumulated wealth through
      the illegal/undesirable ways, and if donations/contributions
      to any noble deeds/causes are made from such funds, God will
      not get pleased in them. See the experience of Zachaeus.
      When our Lord visited his house, he was much upset and as
      a result of his repentance he said "I will give half of my
      savings to the poor". Our Lord did not get pleased in the
      offer. Finally when he said, if I have taken anything from
      any man by false accusation, I restore him four fold", our
      Lord blessed him saying that this day salvation has come to
      this house, for so much as he also is a son of Abraham.
      (St. Luke 29: 8-10) Our God wants me and you. After
      submitting ourselves to God's disposal, He will accept
      any of ours.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.