Fwd: Let's tear down this 'Berlin Wall' ?

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 9:30 PM
      --- In IndianOrthodox@y..., George Abraham <george11@e...> wrote:
      Hi All,

      I feel our church is facing a real crisis now. In the media our
      church is highlighted for all wrong reasons,either regarding a court
      case or some law and order problem, "Holy Qurbana" under police
      protection, one more church handed over for administration by a court
      appointed Receiver etc, etc.About one year back, Asianet TV has
      telecasted one of the most shameful incidents happened somewhere near
      Moovattoopuzha in connection with the inauguration of one Computer
      Institute belonging to our church. Two of our Bishops (One Bishop
      from Orthodox and anothor Bishop from Patriarchial faction) were
      shown virtually fighting in front of TV cameras.It will take years to
      wipe out the memories of that shameful incident from the minds of
      people who have witnessed that "show".

      I am sure we all deserve a much better treatment.

      It appears to me more a "Managerial Problem" facing our church rather
      than anything else. May be the Administrative Structure is so
      centralized with no channel available for anybody to express their
      views. In the process, the true aspirations of the "people" are not
      known to our church leadership. An aging leadership with not much
      talented "Support Group" can also be another reason for this sorry
      state of affairs.

      The most important current issue to my mind is that the litigations
      should come to a peaceful end immediately. As far as the general
      members are concerned there is only one church. (See the situation
      when marriage proposals are handled in our families. No sensible
      person bothers, whether the proposal is from "Bavakkashi"
      or "Methrankashi" irrespective of whichever faction he or she
      happened to be)

      The issues involved for the division has nothing to do with faith or
      spiritual, but "purely political & materialistic", as I perceive. It
      is really unfortunate that, we all talk/preach and feel proud about
      the "Christian Love" "Ultimate Sacrifice" etc etc and practice
      exactly the opposite. Whom we all are trying to fool? Our Lord
      Jesus Christ ? If my understanding is correct, we are paying a
      particular Snr. Advocate of Supreme Court around Rs 1.00 lakh per
      Hour/sitting!!!(Perks etc extra). Remember, we are paying this out of
      the contributions made by all of us including the "penny donated by
      the widow" as mentioned in the Bible!! What an irony??

      The way things look, we can not expect any initiative from the church
      leadership on this issue. It appears there is total bankruptcy
      of "ideas" and no sincerity at all. The only wayout is we the
      ordinary church members should raise our voice. When our beloved
      Bishops and other leaders come to our parishes, we should not
      hesitate to question them on this vital issue. We are talking about
      a small church .. Berlin wall was broken...Cold war ended...Two
      superpowers are now cooperating...South & North Koreas are going
      to unite.. Even there is an earnest desire for India & Pakistan to
      progress together...

      So the writing on the wall is clear...YOU ACT OR PERISH!!!.....HOPE
      OUR CHURCH LEADERSHIP, IF THEY LOVE THIS CHURCH WILL NOT ALLOW OUR
      CHURCH TO PERISH?

      Let us wish and pray that Year 2001 should be the "YEAR OF LOVE AND
      UNITY FOR INDIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH".

      I am convinced that our "strength" is enormous.Remember there is
      something very special about we "YAKKOBAYAKKAR"(at least for two more
      generations our community will be called that way only, inspite of
      our new "IndianOrthodox" brand). How many of us know that in the
      desert state of Rajastan, we have 14 Parishes/Congregations?These are
      all not organised/built by the "church", but only by the shear
      commitment and hard work of our "very ordinary members" who have gone
      to these places for their livelihood!!

      In UAE no Indian Church has got their own indepentant place for
      worshipping (neither Marthomaites nor CSI, although all are trying
      hard to get one indepentant place for worshiping, for the last 30
      plus years), but we have three churches of our own(Abu Dhabi, Dubai &
      Sharjah). This is only because of God's Blessings and due to the
      efforts and commitment of our "ordinary members".

      Remember this particular characteristic is found only in the "Kerala
      Born Malayalees", to keep their identity whereever they are and our
      church and Marthoma church are benefitting from this trend to a large
      extent.No "British or American Christian Saayippu" will spend his
      time or energy to organise a congregation/church of his own, once he
      goes out of his country for any reason!!

      I am sure with a "simple nod" by the "correct" leadership, "miracles"
      can happen in this church everyday by utilising the "FIRE" within all
      of us. But I am afraid, our church leadership fails to channelize
      this energy in a positive manner. I sincerely wish, this is the
      time we should have minimum about 40 to 50 "SELFLESS" Bishops, whose
      average age should not be more than 45 to 50 yrs to lead this "GREAT
      CHURCH" and 50% of them should be concentrating in "Mission Works"
      only on a rotational basis, away from the nittie-gritties of the day
      to day administration of the dioceses etc. Remember H.H. Parumala
      Thirumeni was ordained as a Bishop when he was hardly 28 yrs old,H.H
      Pampady Thirumeni was ordained as a Rambachan when he was 21 years
      and selected to be a Methrachan at the age of 26 years (understand
      Pampady Thirumeni told the then Bava Thirumeni, I do not deserve such
      a Great position and finally Vattacheril Thirumeni persuaded him and
      ordained him as a Thirumeni when he was 42), imagine the Great Vision
      of the then Leadership.There is also a need to fix a reasonable and
      realistic retirement age for our bishops, exception can be there for
      Bava Thirumeni(afterall human biological systems are the same for all
      human beings, after a particular age everyone needs rest.)

      If we are not imaginative & innovative, our situation will be nothing
      better than the present state of affairs of Kerala. The neighboring
      three southern states are having exponential growth in true sense....
      we are struggling hard to pay the salaries for an inefficient and
      self centered bureaucracy every month....Even God is helpless in our
      case it appears..??? If we all are not rising to the occasion to
      open the eyes of the church leadership, probably our children will
      not pardon us.

      I have come out of Kerala, worked and travelled various
      places/countries for the last 22 yrs after my graduation. I can
      confess, I am speaking from my heart.

      With Prayers,

      George Abraham
      St. George Orthodox Church