Canon/ Communion with Greek Orthodox

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2003
      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah
      Minnu wrote:

      > So which is the 'cannon' of malankara church???
      >
      > Can you provide a solution on this???

      Dear Gleeson, A Canon is not limited to a specific
      Church. In the early centuries, all churches used
      the Apostolic Canons. Consider the Eastern Orthodox
      Churches accepting Chalcedon. They follow the canons
      known as "the Rudder". So, they have a common canon.
      So, what is the purpose of your question above? Canons
      are derived from old canons and decisions of Ecumenical
      Synods. What is important is the common thing in each
      Canon and avoiding any distortions to the common
      faith.

      Also, the SOC is in communion with Eastern Orthodox Church.
      Following is taken from the official agreement reached
      between two sections of the Anthiocian Orthodox Church:

      "9) If one priest of either Church happens to be in a
      certain area he will serve the Divine Mysteries for the
      members of both Churches including the Divine Liturgy
      and the sacrament of holy matrimony. The same priest
      will keep an independent record for both Churches and
      transmit the registration of the members of the sister
      Church to its spiritual authority."

      So, SOC and Antiochian Greek Orthodox are essentially
      in communion.

      Another article on SOC-Greek Orthodox unity:
      "Indeed it seems that such an attitude of mutuality
      prevailed at a meeting between the leadership of the
      Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches of Antioch held
      in Damascus in July 1991."

      "Perhaps most significant is that the document foresees
      full communicatio in sacris in that it provides guidelines
      for liturgical concelebration of the clergy of both
      churches, most notably at the Eucharistic liturgy and
      marriage services. Godparents and marriage witnesses
      can now be chosen from either church without discrimination. "
      [http://www.orthodoxunity.org/article09.html%5d

      In the 1965 Ecumenical Council of OO (Addis Ababa) it was
      decided that each OO sister church can independently enter
      in to dialogue with Eastern Orthodox.

      Regards,
      Thomas
      From the desk of moderators

      SOC or MJSOC is not in a communion with RCC as
      mentioned above. The following statements from
      the joint decorations is very much self-explanatory

      ***
      From The SOC v RCC statment
      # 9
      Our identity in faith, though not yet complete, entitles
      us to envisage collaboration between our Churches in
      pastoral care, in situations which nowadays are frequent
      both because of the dispersion of our faithful throughout
      the world and because of the precarious conditions of these
      difficult times. It is not rare, in fact, for our faithful
      to find access to a priest of their own Church materially
      or morally impossible. Anxious to meet their needs and with
      their spiritual benefit in mind, we authorize them in such
      cases to ask for the Sacraments of Penance, Eucharist and
      Anointing of the Sick from lawful priests of either of our
      two sister Churches, when they need them. It would be a
      logical corollary of collaboration in pastoral care to
      cooperate in priestly formation and theological education.
      Bishops are encouraged to promote sharing of facilities
      for theological education where they judge it to be advisable.
      While doing this we do not forget that we must still do all
      in our power to achieve the full visible communion between
      the Catholic Church and the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
      and ceaselessly implore our Lord to grant us that unity which
      alone will enable us to give to the world a fully unanimous
      Gospel witness.

      From the SOC v Greek Antiochian Church statment
      # 7

      The above mentioned is not applicable to the
      concelebration in the Divine Liturgy

      *****

      In the Third meeting of the Heads OO Churches at the
      Armenian Catholicosate of Cilicia Antelias, Lebanon was
      decided that each OO sister church can independently enter
      to dialogue with RCC and Anglican Church.

      The section also discussed the wish of the Roman Catholic
      Church to start an Official Theological Dialogue with the
      Coptic Orthodox Church with the possible extension of it
      to the Oriental Orthodox Churches.