Methran faction's unity moves with the Catholic Church

  • Mathew Varkey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2003
      Thomas,

      What I have said is cent percent true. May be Mor Baselius
      Geevarghese II, as you said, is strictly an Malankara
      Orthodox Catholicos and a wise captain. I too have heard
      about this. But that does not mean that Malankara Orthodox
      leaders had never tried to join RCC. Vattasseril Thirumeni
      and Catholicose Geevarghese II had indeed made contacts
      with RCC in late 1920’s in an effort to join the Catholic
      Church. The main mediator was Mar Ivanios. The adverse
      situation prevailing then may have forced them to decide
      in favour of joining RCC. In any way it is a fact that
      Methran Kakshi leadership had proceeded much in their
      unity talks.

      The only intention of many of the Methran Kakshi leaders
      then (not different from nowadays) was to overpower the
      Jacobite Christians; they didn’t mind about the manner
      in which they could achieve their goals.

      It is also a fact that on their return after the peace
      talks with the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch in
      Mardin, the Vattasseril Thirumeni and Mar Ivanios met
      the Syrian Catholic Patriarch and continued discussions
      on RCC-Methran Kak.. unity.

      One of the main demands of Methran faction was an
      independent status like the present day ‘Reeth’. These
      discussions were in the final stage. All these were at
      a time when they were loosing the cases in courts. But
      after their return from the Patriarchal Aramana, a
      crucial case came in their favour. Suddenly all others
      except Mar Ivanios changed their stand and decided to
      remain independent. But since Mar Ivanios was a fellow
      who was different from others, he preferred to keep the
      word given to RCC leadership. Thus an independent –
      Malankara Reeth’ - was born. This is the truth.

      Please do remember that in the above case, it was not
      the RCC leadership who went to Vatttasserril thiurmeni;
      but it was Methran Kakshi leaders including vattasseril
      thirumeni who went to meet RCC leaders.

      If you still have any doubts about the above mentioned
      unity talks with RCC and IOC leadership of 1920’s, please
      check with the elderly people in your Church itself.
      Alternatively I can direct you to some of the elderly
      Orthodox Church members who can reveal much on the issue.
      Please provide with your full address. I will send the
      details of persons whom you have to contact to get more
      details on the said unity talks.

      Mathew Varkey
      Kavumbhagam