The Patriarches of the Oriental Churchs sign a Commen Decleration in Lebanon

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2003
      ANTELIAS, LEBANON ¨C On Saturday, October 18, 2003
      at the end of the annual meeting of the Heads of the
      Oriental Orthodox Churches in the Middle East,
      His Holiness Pope Shenouda III of the Coptic Church,
      His Holiness Patriarch Zakka I of the Syrian Church and
      His Holiness Catholicos Aram I of the Armenian Church-
      Catholicosate of Cilicia signed a common declaration
      underlining their concerns and perspectives related
      to the active participation of their faithful in
      Evangelism, Diakonia, Christian education, theological
      formation and youth involvement as the genuine expressions
      of life and witness of their Churches. Additionally,
      issues related to theological dialogues and ecumenical
      collaboration on global and regional levels, as well
      as human rights, social justice, peace and inter-faith
      relations were discussed and highlighted.

      On Friday evening, October 17, 2003, His Holiness Aram I
      hosted an official dinner at the Catholicosate in honor
      of His Holiness Shenouda III and His Holiness Zakka I.
      The dinner was attended by 150 guests, including the
      representatives of the President of the Republic,
      His Excellency General Emil Lahoud, of the Speaker of the
      Parliament, His Excellency Mr. Nabih Berri, and of the
      Prime Minister, His Excellency Mr. Rafik Hariri, and
      Christian and Muslim spiritual leaders, dignitaries of the
      diplomatic corps and leaders of the Armenian community.

      His Holiness Aram I addressed the guests and indicated
      that the meeting of the three Spiritual Heads of the
      Oriental Orthodox Churches is the manifestation of Christian
      unity, inter-religious and ecumenical cooperation and
      expression of a living faith.

      For the common declaration of the three Heads and for the
      full story and pictures see SOLNews:
      http://www.suryoyo-online.org/news/orientalchurch-declaration2003.htm