Re: Communion with RCC-reply to Mr. Thomas P

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003
      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Zchariah Minnu wrote:
      > Dear thomas p,
      > As usual you have diverted from the subject.
      > In your earlier posting you had said that the
      > byzantine and oriental orthodox chuches do not permit
      > any communion with the RCC.
      > You had meant it as a potshot on SOC, since SOC is in
      > communion with RCC in certain specified areas.
      > My question to you was,
      > 1) If the oriental and byzantine orthodox churches are
      > against any communion with RCC, why IOC had almost a
      > year and a half of dialogue with RCC to have an
      > agreement on communion??.

      I hope the second question was answered. i.e. IOC belongs to the OO
      communion. Regarding your first question, the dialogue of individual
      OO churches with RCC is based on the 1965 Addis Ababa general council
      of OO churches. This is recorded in the official minutes of the council.
      H.H. Zakka 1 also mentioned that the dialogue with RCC is based on
      1965. In this council, it was decided that each OO church can enter in
      to dialogue with Byzantine Orthodox and RCC churches. The issue of
      dialogue with RCC and Byzantine Orthodox churches are described
      seperately in the minutes. This would imply that the approach is
      different in both cases.

      Also, there is a condition for dialogues with RCC, that RCC will not
      proselytize in Orthodox regions. This is to preserve local unity of
      sister Churches. So, based on this condition and other matters related
      to faith, OO churches do not accept RCC communion, because RCC is
      destroying local unity by creating parallel dioceses/ uniates in
      Orthodox regions. This results in lack of unity among people. Thus,
      the 1965 council preserves the local unity of the Church.

      > If there is uniformity in faith for all these churches
      > who "claim" to be orthodox, then worldwide we need to
      > have only one orthodox church.

      In the Orthodox church, there is only one faith even today. So, while
      there are regional churches, it is understood as a unity in faith.

      > So definitly some difference of opinion with regards
      > to faith is there, and hence the divisions.

      Orthodox churches are united. In know Romanian Orthodox people
      communing form Greek Orthodox church. Similalry when I met a Coptic
      monk, he told me that his parish has Indian family. There is free
      communion and unity between Orthodox churches. On one occassion, when
      a Coptic church had no Holy Oil, they borrowed it from nearby Armenian

      > This is exactly what has happened in malankara too.

      You are right. It is difference in faith that leads to division. We
      have to find out what is taught different from the common faith of all
      OO churches. i.e. we have a large group of churches believing in a
      common faith, and very few churches teaching differently.

      > We should be more worried about finding a platform for
      > peacefull coexistence.
      > rgds
      > GLEESON

      Peaceful coexistence with lot of indifference and coldness is not a
      Christian idea. It results from lot of bad feelings and other aspects
      of human weakness. While this may give momentary satisfaction, this
      will not help in the future. Christian idea is a unity which is
      dynamic and lively. In this sense local unity is very important.

      best regards,
      Thomas P