Re: Communion with RCC-reply to Mr. Thomas P

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003
      There is also an Orthodox Church in Finland. When I visited the
      county a month ago I saw a beautiful Orthodox church there. Isn't it
      good to have Orthodox churches in all nations and these Churches
      existing united in each nation?

      There is Byzantine influence in all Orthodox churches, because there
      was only one major Church within Byzantium until 6th century. So, we
      cannot say that Oriental Churches are with out Byzantine influence or
      treat Byzantine Churches as totally unrelated to us. Roman Church also
      had lot of Orthodox influence in the beginning, but eventually they
      changed a lot accepting liberal aspects of western culture. For
      example, they started accepting secular art and paintings, as a result
      iconographic tradition ended.

      In Kerala, because of historic reasons, Oriental orthodox comunity is
      heavily influenced by Western culture, hence the bias towards RCC, and
      protestant churches. A strong movement towards Orthodoxy (ie. common
      to both Oriental and Eastern Orthodox) is lacking. A lot of work needs
      to be done (young volunteers should work for this), including
      replacing imagery used in the Church. Orthodoxy is a collective
      experience. Liturgical experience is only one part of it.

      Oriental Orthodox churches (with the exception of Keralites) share a
      lot in common with Eastern Orthodox Churches. In fact other than
      slight difference in Christological terminology, Byzantine and
      Oriental orthodox churches follow exactly same tradition. They give
      high importance to St. Mary. They enter the Church after lighting a
      candle infront of an Icon of St. Mary, which is kept near the Church
      door. Similalry at the entrance of Ethiopian Church they keep an Icon
      of St. Mary. This is from my experience as I have attended Anthiocian
      Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox churches.

      -Thomas P