Vidyarambham in churches: Is that a new thing?

  • T M Chacko
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      Recently i have gone through a news on Vidyarambam in the TVM Orthodox
      Church. According to that report this is the first time that Vidyarambam
      is done in a Christian Church. But as far as I know Vidyarambam in
      Christian churches is not a new thing. It is already in practice in
      many churches in Kerala. I know about the ‘ezhuthiniruthu’ in the
      Perumpally church of the Jacobites in Mulanthuruthy and also at the
      nearby famous ‘kurishumthotti’ of the same church dedicated to Parumala
      Thirumeni which is a regular practice observed for many years now. It is
      an old Indian custom followed by many christian churches for so many years
      now.

      So I wonder why so much media hype given to these customs nowadays. Is this
      just a marketing gimmick of the 21st century? It is true that a Christian
      must not consider any day better than other, but such practices, knowing or
      unknowingly are observed by almost all the Christian sects for centuries.
      Take for example ‘Rahu’ and ‘kethu’. Christians are against observing such
      practices, but at the same time these very Christians look for ‘Rahu’ etc,
      particularly during marriages. Even Pentecost church memebers who criticize
      the episcopal churches for everything observes it. But at the same time it
      is true that it does not justify the Christian spirit.

      T M Chacko