Re: Malankara Church Disputes [Varugese C J]

  • Dn. George Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2003
      Mr Varughese CJ,

      I think you need to read the passage again. Yes,
      Peter did cut off the ear of the attendant because his
      emotions got the best of him. But, what was Jesus'
      reaction? He reprimanded Peter and healed the ear of
      the attendant. Jesus does NOT desire such reactions
      of a physical nature. He wants calm, cool, and
      collected people to discuss the matters and, in
      prayer, do what is best for the universal church.
      Sometimes, we have to trust God to lead and guide us.
      All is part of God's Master Plan. I do not understand
      how one can rationalize the use of violence to solve a
      problem. In your example itself, Jesus did not
      condone the action. We have to look at the whole
      passage and not just one sentence. Yes, Peter did it,
      but what was the outcome?

      Can you define the meaning of 'love your enemy as
      yourself?' I think everyone 'knows' what it means,
      but they prefer to ignore it. And, we are clearly
      told that if we cannot love our brothers and sister
      who we have seen, how can we love God whom we have not
      seen? No one is perfect, no one is righteous before
      God. If everyone humbles themselves before the sight
      of God, most of the problems would have gone away.
      And, that is true love, for it is selfless (putting
      others ahead of themselves) and giving and nurturing.

      You may not agree with my ideas or concepts, and that
      is fine. I certainly do not have to agree with yours.
      But, in the end, we can still love and respect each
      other, and more importantly, worship together.

      I am interested in hearing from the members of this
      forum - what will heaven be like? Will there be a
      Jacobite Syrian Church and a Roman Catholic Church and
      a Baptist Church? Will there be multiple
      denominations or will there be ONE single, united
      church? In the end, is all the fighting and disputes
      over apostolic superiority and supremacy going to
      matter in heaven? Jesus is the one who gave the
      authority and power to the disciples. It is He that
      we have to worship and respect.

      I do believe that in His time, God will raise people
      out of both churches to combat the current crises and
      seek peace in the Malankara Church. I am praying for
      it, and I know many others are praying for it. Many
      are drifting away from the Church to other
      denominations. I hope and pray that we can settle the
      disputes amicably so the Church can reunite and get
      back to its ordained business - loving our neighbors.
      There is much to do -- when will we be ready to do it?

      Dn George Mathew