Sunday School: A General Study (Part 10)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL: A GENERAL STUDY
Six stages of Moral Development according to
1. One does what is right based on the fear of
2. Based on procuring something in return.
3. Concerned for the approval of others
4. concerned about the rules and regulations
5. Breaks out of being controlled by others and
regulates one's own behavior
6. Development of a healthy conscience - does the
right thing because of one's own belief.
Few questions to ponder:
1. "What will be the boy's rule of life and his work"?
(Judges 13:12): Manoah's question to the angel.
2. Why are you going to him today? (2 Kings 4:23):
Shunamite woman's husband.
3. What kind of a child will this be? (Luke 1:66):
John the Baptist. "Is this not Joseph's son?" (Luke
4:22): Lord looks at the heart: 1 Samuel 16:7.
4. Whose son are you, young man? (1 Samuel 17:58):
Jesse's youngest son, shepherd of Bethlehem, giant
slayer, composer of Psalms, musician, Jonathan's
closest friend ... Was a fugitive but became Israel's
king, a champion in battle and a troubled monarch.
Glorious triumph, but great tragedy; strong in battle,
weak at home; a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel
13:13-14; 16:1; Psalm 78a:70-72.
1. Spirituality: A heart like God's - in harmony with
him, obeying His command: 2 Chronicles 16:9
2 Humility: Committed heart
3. Integrity: Wholesome and pure: Psalm 78:70-72
4. Skilful: 1 Samuel 16:18 cf. Proverbs 18:16.
(Parumala Thirumeny, Mother Theressa, Florence
Nightingale, Fr. Damian, George Muller): Social work
and gospel work intertwined.
1. Children are gifts (heritage): God's property
assigned to parents.
2. Children are fruits: nurturing, cultivation,
hard-works in shaping a life.
3. Children are rewards.
4. Children are arrows pointing to a certain target.
Children are very sincere, straightforward and
Children should have the attitude of gratitude.
Nathaniel: "There is no guile in him"
John the Baptist: "No other greater person than him."
Peter: the rock to build the church.
Ask ourselves: "Show me myself, Lord, show me myself.'
Pray: "Lord, show me Thyself."
A. Be faithful: Hebrews 11:1
B. Be truthful/sincere: "Come to the knowledge of
truth: 2 Timothy 3:7.
C. Be submissive: In all reverence: 1 Timothy 3:4.
D. Be excellent: Wisdom is ethical and moral
associated with excellence - truth, righteousness, and
knowledge: Proverbs 8:6-11.
E. Be sensible
*** End of the series *****
+ Very Rev Thomas P Mundukuzhy, CorEpiscopa