Michael The Great

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 7:20 AM
      Michael the Elder (Great) as Quoted in 'Michael the Elder, Chronique
      de Michael Syrien, Patriarche Jacobite d' Antioche,' J.B. Chabot,
      Editor, Vol. II, Paris, 1901.

      "This is why the God of vengeance, who alone is all-powerful, and
      changes the empire of mortals as He will, giving it to whomsoever He
      will, and uplifting the humble beholding the wickedness of the Romans
      who throughout their dominions, cruelly plundered our churches and
      our monasteries and condemned us without pity, brought from the
      region of the south the sons of Ishmael, to deliver us through them
      from the hands of the Romans. And if in truth we have suffered some
      loss, because the Catholic churches, that had been taken away from us
      and given to the Chalcedonians, remained in their possession;
      nevertheless it was no slight advantage for us to be delivered from
      the cruelty of the Romans, their wickedness, their wrath and cruel
      zeal against us, and to find ourselves at people. (Michael the Elder,
      Jacobite Patriarch of Antioch wrote this text in the latter part of
      the twelfth century, after five centuries of Muslim rule in that
      region).