We are chosen and called (H.G Thomas Mor Themotheos)

  • Jaison Mathew
    Message 1 of 1502 , Aug 16, 2003
      WE ARE CHOSEN AND CALLED
      By THOMAS MOR THEMOTHEOS

      All the Christians are chosen and called by God. As we enter into the third
      millennium, all the Christians around the world should be unified and should
      submit them self for the work of God to build His Kingdom. The Christian church
      is about to face the enormous challenge caused by the problems of modernity.
      Our contemplative society is facing multifarious problems caused by the
      circumstances, social clashes, religious fanaticism, terrorism etc.etc. Within
      all these adverseness, Christian values are to be accepted and respected.

      Praise be to the Triune God! Let the name of our Lord be glorified. In this
      magnificent conference, let us praise the Lord, as we are receiving the Grace
      and Strength from God for the past 107 years for the proclamation of the Gospel
      of our Lord Jesus Christ. As we all know, we are living in the first stage of
      the third millennium. When we entered into the third millennium, there was a
      lot of concern about the future of the Church. Especially, an important point
      raised by Roman Catholic Scholars of western countries was of high
      significance. The Church in the first millennium was of one pattern and was
      unified. But in the second millennium, Church was more divided. Now, as we
      enter into the third millennium, all the Christians around the world should
      again be unified and should submit them self for the work of God to build His
      Kingdom. This is one of the very beautiful thoughts.

      In the Gospel according to John we read that Jesus prayed for His
      disciples, ‘The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they
      may be one, just as We are one.’ One of the very important characters of the
      Church is its oneness or the unity. While we peep into the history of the
      Church, we notice many facts that happened to the vision of God about the
      Church. I would like to talk to you today about the mission of Christians, God
      is intending about us, in any circumstances wherever we are.

      All Christians are intended to be the light of the world and salt of the earth
      and should acquire enough strength to respond to any adverse circumstances we
      come across. For this great cause and responsibility bestowed on each one of
      us, we should take utmost care, not to defile our body or mind and get prepared
      to be with the quality to become the light of the world and salt of the earth.
      In the circumstances we live upon, there are many challenges we may need to
      face. As the centaury turns, the social atmosphere in our State of Kerala faces
      an enormous challenge not only for the Christian families, but also to every
      people in different walk of life.

      Let me share one story, which comes to mind, which is narrated by a German
      litterateur. A King by the name Midas had gone on searching for a scholar in
      his country. He searched and searched all the forests in the country for this
      scholar. After an extensive search, the King could find out the man. The King
      was so happy at last that he could find out this great man. King asked the
      Scholar to tell 'what is the most desirable and attractive thing in this
      world.' The man stared at the King and remained silent. On compulsion from the
      King the Scholar asked the King ‘O thou wicked man and embodiment of swift
      destruction, why are you looking for most desirable thing in the world; the
      most desirable and attractive thing for those who are the cause for the curse
      of the society in this world is to die.’ He was upholding the fact of lack ness
      of the confidence of the modern man to live.

      Thoughts of St. Paul who told “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.”,
      the man who tasted His Lord and proclaimed the word of Gospel, considering sum
      total of his life, had very distinctive vision about life compared to that in
      this story. The state of keeping aloof from creator God is same as the state of
      being dead. In today’s world, Churches have a great mission to accomplish for
      giving a great hope to the mankind. We are fast advancing to the modernity. We
      are adopting various aspects of the western culture. The Christian church is
      about to face the enormous challenge caused by the problems of this modernity.
      Our contemplative society is facing multifarious problems caused by the
      circumstances, social clashes, religious fanaticism, terrorism etc.etc.

      Within all these adverseness, Christian values are to be accepted and
      respected. Immediately after the earthquake in Gujarat, I had the opportunity
      to visit those places hit by the calamity. While I was visiting and
      communicating with some volunteers of the refugee operations Camps, I could
      observe many Christian organizations were actively participating in the
      operations. I asked some of the Christian Groups there regarding the approval
      and acceptance of their service. One of the group member had told me that the
      common people give due respect for their services rendered, however there were
      people who view their activities with a suspicious eye. We are called by Jesus
      Christ to be the light of the world and salt of the earth. It is the
      responsibility of each one of us to learn and convey the good news of the
      Gospel. Church as whole is called for the proclamation of the word of God even
      in the most adverse and hard circumstances.

      One Philosopher had explained it as that Church should be like Roses inside the
      thorns. Even amidst the adaptation of the modernity by the society, we should
      be able to discard the wrong and deadly perversions and to lead a life of faith
      and hope in our God. All the Christians are ‘Called’ and each one is indebted
      to understand the mystery of the world and the mystery of the word of God in
      the light of the given the Gospels. This is one of the most important message
      I would like to share with you in this ecumenical meeting. This Maramon
      Convention fellowship and all our Church fellowships are called and made where
      ever they are, for giving hope for the mankind, which is immersed in utter
      despair. In this respect we should induct guidance and follow the foot steps of
      St.Paul with his words “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.” And “But
      may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus
      Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”

      Church is the congregation of the believers and head of that congregation is
      Jesus Christ. One Philosopher had told about Church as an undefined entity.
      Bible tells us of many things about the Church. Even though it is not been
      defined by any of the Church fathers, Scholars or Philosophers. Church is the
      one which lead the believers in the faith for ever. The Church, Jesus being the
      head of it, is entrusted to the Holy Spirit of God for its perseverance and
      guidance. Church should be able to with stand and respond to the most adverse
      circumstances it may have to face with. The Christian Churches should not be
      lessened with its exhibitive activities, but it should be the lantern, which
      give light to the society. Churches should be meek and with the wisdom of God
      to be aware about the stewardship entrusted to it for strengthening the
      believers in the faith of God and goodness to the society.

      Apostle Paul evaluate his life in the second Epistle to Corinthians 4:8-10 “We
      are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;
      persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying
      about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be
      manifested in our body.” These words are giving us courage and wisdom to
      respond to the troublesome circumstances of this age in which we all are
      living. We are a called society and entrusted with the Christian
      responsibilities, witness and message. Who ever we are, whether a Bishop,
      Reverend or a Layman we all are entrusted with our own responsibilities and I
      pray to God that the Holy Spirit may lead us to discharge it fruitfully. Let
      all the Churches be lead by the Spirit of truth in this third millennium as
      promised by our Jesus Christ. In any age of time, if the Church happens to walk
      in a wrong direction, it is the responsibility of each one of us to pray for
      the Church so that it comes back and walk in the right direction in the truth
      and in the guidance of Holy Spirit. It is the necessity of the Christian
      congregation to keep up the fraternity of our fellowship and set up the
      Christian Model in our Country.

      I am concluding my message with a story, which I read in a book written in the
      second centaury. In that it says that when St. John, the beloved Apostle of
      Jesus was walking through the street of Ephesus, there was a Philosopher
      speaking about the meaninglessness of wealth. Two young volunteers sold out
      their properties and bought two pieces of pearls in front of the Philosopher.
      In order to demonstrate the meaninglessness of wealth the Philosopher had hit
      on the pearls with a hammer and crushed it and declared that all the wealth of
      this world is perishable as he demonstrated about the pearl. During that time
      Apostle John was passing by. St.John told the Philosopher this is a a reckless
      aversion to this world. even though he could attract a huge crowd for his wrong
      Philosophy, Jesus had already cursed this aversion. As the wrong medicines can
      not cure the illness, wrong teachings can not heal the afflictions of the mind
      and spirit. St. John reiterated to the Philosopher the words of Jesus from the
      Gospel "Jesus said to him, If you wish to be complete, go and sell your
      possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and
      come, follow Me." (Mat 19:21 )

      The world which is inflicted by the addictions should be healed with the
      strength of the faith on the cross. This is the biggest message needed for the
      contemporary world. The Christian society is being called to live among these
      worldly addictions. The wicked ness and avarice of current mankind is the root
      cause for the turbulences and afflictions of the society. As per St.Paul ,"I am
      crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:
      and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of
      God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20) This gives the great
      message to the each one of us to have the experience of of living in Jesus.
      From the desk of moderators

      [Key Note Address delivered at the ecumenical meeting of Maramon
      Convention 2003. (Original in Malayalam)] The same article was posted in our
      messgae # 2629 by the editor of http://www.lightoflife.com

      His Grace is Diocesan Metropolitan Kottayam & Outside Kerala of
      Syrian Jacobite Church & President of Bible Society Of India
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members

        In our Lords Love