Re: History can be made.

  • thomas_pa1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      > The noted historian VCS has dug out some documents which may
      >expalin why St Peter made throne with wood while st Thomas preffered
      >Gold.

      There is no evidence in the writings of Fr. VCS that throne is
      a chair. Did Apostles created a chair. Bible teaches us clearly
      that there is a throne for each Apostle of Christ. So this
      chair is created not by Apostle, but by almighty.

      If Apostle constructured a chair out of wood or gold, then which
      chair is the true chair: that of Anthiocian (Greek) Orthodox or
      Anthiocian (Syrian) Orthodox? We need to keep in mind that before
      St. Severios (and during the time of St. Severios) there was only
      one throne of Anthioc for both Anthiocian Greeks and Anthiocian
      Syrians.

      Regarding "throne of St. Thomas", the usage is indeed there in
      many ancient writings, especially that of "Church of East",
      Jerusalem Patriarch etc. The word is not a new creation of Malankara
      Church.

      What is the definition of a throne:
      - If it is continous Apostolic succession, then no Patriarchates
      can claim this. Patriarchates had broken lineage and during
      such situations other Patriarchates will come to help. This is
      because, all priesthood originates from Christ and there is
      no difference between priesthood from each Apostle. It's all
      the same.

      - Throne is absolutely not a chair, what ever be the material
      used for construction.

      - We need to define what a throne means. For an Indian christian,
      a throne means martyrdom of Apostle for church in India,
      his act of establishing a church, ordaining bishops, and his
      confession of faith. Other churches also use the word throne.
      It is a symbol for unity of all St. Thomas Christians or to
      a broader extent all Christians of India.

      Present confusion is based on different understanding of what
      a throne means.