Union with Rome

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1502 , Jul 21, 2003
      Dear Alex,

      With RCC, it is not a matter of Christology alone. But with
      EO, our major (perhaps the only one) difference was Christology. We
      need to appreciate that Malankara fathers also contributed greatly to
      bring these churches together.

      In the Oritienal Orthodox dialogue with RCC (Pro-oriente) many topics
      were considered. Many of them still unresolved, except Christological
      matters. Our acceptance of RCC christological position (Tome of Leo
      condemned in our liturgy) is largely due to our agreements with
      Eastern orthodox, because RCC share the same Christology with EO.

      Even after this agreement, the condemnation of the Tome of Leo is not
      removed from our liturgy.

      RCC approach is very different from traditional Orthodox ways. We need
      to consider the following:

      - Filioque
      - Immaculate conception, co-redemptrix
      - Papal infallibility
      - Primacy of rule of Rome based on primacy of Peter
      - Establishing uniate churches in Orthodox stronghold regions
      - compulsive celibacy ...

      Kindly check this page for a more detailed study on this topic:
      http://www.stmark-la.com/book.html

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com