Common Declaration

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21 5:12 AM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Hosny Hakim

      COMMON DECLARATION

      In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

      We, Pope Shenouda III, Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of
      St. Mark of the Coptic Orthodox Church, Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I,
      Patriarch of Antioch and all the East of the Syrian Orthodox Church,
      and Catholicos Aram I, Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia of
      the Armenian Orthodox Church, and the members of the Standing
      Committee: H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy, H.G. Bishop Moussa, H.E.
      Metropolitan Theophilus George Saliba, H.G. Bishop Sebouh Sarkissian,
      and Archimandrite Nareg Alemezian, who are with us, give thanks to
      God for bringing us together once again in the context of this Fourth
      Meeting of the Heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the Middle
      East, March 15-17, 2001, at the St. Mark Center of the Coptic
      Orthodox Church, Nasr City-Cairo, Egypt.
      .
      .
      II. Theological Dialogues

      A. Oriental Orthodox Churches-Eastern Orthodox Churches

      1. We discussed the actual state of the theological dialogue between
      the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches, and emphasized the
      importance of this d ialogue for the full unity of Orthodox Churches.

      of Moscow and all Russia, we appointed Metropolitan Bishoy,
      Metropolitan Eustathius Mattha Rohom and Archimandrite Nareg
      Alemezian to participate in the meeting of the Coordinating
      Committee. This Committee, which will meet in Moscow, March 20-22,
      2001, will prepare the agenda
      for the meeting of a larger Committee. The purpose of this Mixed
      Committee will be to discuss the present situation of theological
      dialogue between the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches, and to
      explore the possibilities of enhancing this important process. This
      Committee will also identify specific areas of closer ecumenical
      collaboration between our Churches and the Russian Orthodox Church.

      3. The Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church in June 2000 and the
      Permanent Holy Synod of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria
      and all Africa in November 2000 have approved the pastoral agreement
      reached between them regarding the mutual recognition of the
      sacrament of the holy matrimony blessed in their respective churches
      in case of mixed marriages. We welcomed this significant ecumenical
      initiative, as we did in respect to a similar decision contained in
      the agreement that was reached between the Syrian Orthodox Church of
      Antioch and the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch.

      ---- end of message forward ----

      Thomas Daniel