Re: Independence Craze

  • John Philip
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 29, 2002
      Dear Members,

      We must work for universal unity, not based on such ethnic groups or nations or language etc. otherwise there is no meaning for oneness.  Christians must stood for this only.

      Whatever one tries to establish, Methran Kakshi Church is now under the influence of some external forces such as a big media power and its supporters.   They are dictating the Church heierarchy.    They are controlling the finances.  Oreelse we can say they are the Church.  So says some of the members of  Methran Kakshi Church itself.  Now ask Asianet to once again show the inetrview with late Paulose Mar Gregorious, taken about a year before his demise.

      Now do anyone knows how the Malankara Sabha case is known in Delhi.  The advocates and others call it as "CASE OF a particular tyre company", not of Jacobites or Patregheese or Methran Kakshi or Syrian Orthodox or Orthodox Syrian or Indian Orthodox or Orthodox Indian.  Now this media is the Church,  people outside the Church can't understand the difference of Bawa Kakshi or Methran Kakshi.  But they know there are two Churches one supporting the Patriarch and the other supported by this media power.  They call the later Church with the name of that particular Media power.

      This is the sad situation here in Kerala.  So let's work for changing this attitude of common man.  For that we must stood under the leadership of  the Patriarch of Antioch, who according to the Canon accepted by Parumala Thirumeni and others of the time, is the supreme head of the Malankara Church.

      John Philip

        thomas_pa1 wrote:

      > Now regarding the Independence craze, it is not going to reach an
      end. Now Catholicose groups want Independent Indian Church. You
      already know that the Independence cry started in USA. Many of USA
      members of so called Independent Church started to ask, "Why we have
      to be controlled by Devalokam?" If some one from North India started
      asking same, then the present Catholicose Group leaders can't deny it.
      > Thomas Daniel

      Malankara churches throughout the world are under the Malankara
      Holy Synod and there is no independence movement. They are all
      going to participate in the upcoming Malankara Associaton.
      What is the status of Knanaya church, Malankara archdiocese of
      America and Canada etc.? In my understanding they are now seperated
      (Independent) of Malankara. This is also one form of independence.
      This kind of independence (removing Malankara dependency) will not
      help the younger generation much. We need to teach young people that
      we are Indians with a distict civilization. It is because of this
      civilization that we follow the same life style in family life like
      people of other religions in India. Thus the value system is based
      on Indian civilization. For this reason alone, Malankara Orthodox
      parents in America want to teach Indian traditions to young people.
      All most all parishes are planning to participate in the upcoming
      association. Is Bava forcing parishes to particpate. No, it is the
      parish general body deciding whether to participate of not. Let us
      work for unity in our church and maintain our distinct identity as
      ancient christians of India.

      -T

      Monitoring Service trial
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/m.VolB/TM

      Download exciting Logos, Picture Messages & Ringtones for your mobile phonenew

    • thomas_pa1
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 29, 2002
        We the jacobites are still saying
        :
        > There is only one church and there only one leader for it. That is
        the
        > Patriarch of Antioch. First of all you accept that.
        > If you and your leader - catholica will not accept the H.H. the
        patriarch we
        > are also not ready to accept your so called catholica. Let us go
        > independently.

        I think from Kaatholikka Bava's side, he did his duty by
        sending a letter to H.H. Patriarch explaining the situation
        and accepting H.H. according to the consitution. So, we
        Malankara Church already accept H.H.

        But I have a personal ambition as a layman to see H.H. revoking
        the agreement with RCC. This agreement will mislead many
        members of our Malankara Church. Already many are going
        and communing there. This must be revoked.

        Regarding establishement of Catholicosate in 1912, it was
        H.H. Abded Messiah who did this and H.H. is remembered
        every year. Later H.H. Patriarchs accepted this and
        our relationship with H.H. Patriarch of Anthioc is
        defined in the constitution.

        Each side has a story to tell aboutthis part of history.
        Kindly read the following about how this happened:
        http://www.uk-christian.net/boc/102f.shtml
      • thomas_pa1
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 29, 2002
          As a layman, I understand this differently. Your faction
          denies the priesthood of St. Thomas by quoting Bible.
          Ancient accounts (our local tradition, ancient Coptic
          Synaxis etc.) prove beyond doubt that the Apostle ordained priests
          and bishops in India. This means complete priesthood of the Apostle.
          So we have two teachings in our church. Awgen Bava was a firm
          believer (he was a great theological scholar and guru of
          Malankara Malpan) in priesthood of the Apostle. If we don't
          preserve this tradition, no other Christian community will
          do this for us. So we are Malankara Orthodox Syrian Christians.
        • dipu george
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002

            thomas_pa1 wrote:

            As a layman, I understand this differently. Your faction
            denies the priesthood of St. Thomas by quoting Bible.
            Ancient accounts (our local tradition, ancient Coptic
            Synaxis etc.) prove beyond doubt that the Apostle ordained priests
            and bishops in India.

            poor thomas...he says he respects malankara malpan but not his works !! there is no concrete evidence to prove st thomas had come to malankara.

            its is only a strong legend .atleast the saints relics are in mosul.....a part of which was brought to devalokam...on which is written " this was brought by HG augen from the "orthodox church " at mosul" !!!! no mention of the syrian in the syrian �orthodox church at mosul !!!....indeed the contemptuous attitude of the metran faction has to be mentioned here.

            �This means complete priesthood of the Apostle.

            the bible itself says that st thomas never recieved priesthood ....... why are you trying to break the umblical chord .....what are your intentions mr thomas!!??� guess u r trying to cock up a new history by cozzying up to the greeks and copts . good luck to you and your faction.

            So we have two teachings in our church. Awgen Bava was a firm
            believer (he was a great theological scholar and guru of
            Malankara Malpan) in priesthood of the Apostle.

            the malankara malpan's� humbleness lay in the fact that he presented his translation of the bible before�HG augen's�tomb at devalokam and his words were�� "knowing them (the metran� faction ) even if they throw away away this bible and do whatever they can to it i will always remember my guru who taught me the rudiments of this holy language".it was the devils team at work in devalokam which brought confusion between augen and the patriach.

            nobody can forget how the metran faction made him abjucate his title ( for reasons now unfolding before our own eyes )while his predecessor had the title till his death...what is the role of the catholicose....temporal powers ...thats all......the last days of his successor is worth remembering....he got the same treatment he meted out ot augen......the very hand which pulled the ring from augengs finger� became paralysed !!!! one wonders how he got to put his fingerprint on his will transfering the title to mathews2.......we dont need such catholicoses mr thomas...so lay off ..get lost

            so there mr thomas� i wonder how the metran faction will tolerate this bible which has the seal of antioch and forewords by our bishops in it ...knowing u people ....u might have desecrated it� ...and thrown it away.

            �If we don't
            preserve this tradition, no other Christian community will
            do this for us. So we are Malankara Orthodox Syrian Christians.

            we do preserve our tradition.....u people dont !! and we are the malankara� syrian orthodox church and not the other way round

            isnt it stupidity...there is the syrian orthodox church.the coptic orthodox church.the greek orthodox,russian orthodox,armenian orthodox� u guys have malankara "orthodox syrian" instead �......

            regards

            dipu

            Do You Yahoo!?

          • daniel_reji
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
              --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "thomas_pa1" <thomas_pa1@y...> wrote:

              > Each side has a story to tell aboutthis part of history.
              > Kindly read the following about how this happened:
              > http://www.uk-christian.net/boc/102f.shtml

              Dear Brother Thomas P

              The article in Glastonbury Review is possibly by Abba Seraphim,
              bishop of the British Orthodox Church and relies heavily on Western
              histories written by Catholics and Protestants who had their own
              agenda in the Middle East. The British Orthodox themselves for years
              had attempted to be in communion with the Syriac Orthodox until the
              mid 90s, when they joined the Copts.

              What is the point though? Is the claim that the history of the Syriac
              Orthodox Church is somehow tainted? I would be the last person to
              argue against that. From that perspective the entire history of the
              Christian Church be it in the East or the West is tainted and
              reflects human frailty and weakness, often at its worst. I would
              readily admit that the turn of the 20th century was probably the
              worst period in the history of the Syriac Orthodox Church. The
              Ottoman Empire exerted its heavy hand on the church and the spiritual
              life of the church under the subjugation of the Moslem empire had
              reached a low point. In those days, a Patriarch was the civil head of
              his community, the millet, and was even responsible for collecting
              taxes. He could be in that position only with the firman of the
              Caliph and the Caliph would give the firman only to someone who made
              a payment. This set the stage for corruption in the church. The
              tussle between Patriarch Abded Messiah and Patriarch Abdulla II
              happened during this time and was most unfortunate for the Syriac
              Orthodox Church. Vattasseril Mor Dionysius, who went to Patr. Abdulla
              for consecration as Metropolitan later took advantage of a
              disgruntled Abded Messiah and got him to consecrate a Catholicos.
              This was all during a time when the Syriac Orthodox in Turkey were
              under complete disarray and immediately later thousands of them were
              massacred by the Ottomans. Our people never once during all the
              centuries of our association extended a helping hand, but instead
              took advantage of the situation. Fortunately, with Patriarch Elias
              III, the church came under the spiritual guidance of one of the most
              devout leaders of modern times and ever since has made progress under
              the succeeding Patriarchs. To extrapolate the history of a few years
              around the turn of the 20th century and paint the entire history of
              the Syriac Church with a broad black brush is just malicious.

              Personally, I think that history, esp. in the context of the
              Malankara Church, is used as a weapon selectively when it suits a
              denomination's claim to antiquity. The Catholics claim that St.
              Thomas Christians were always Catholic and make tenuous arguments to
              support that. Malankara Orthodox claim historical independence, where
              as some people with extreme views in Jacobite faction claim that they were
              always under Antioch. None of these positions are close to the truth.
              Even accounts of a single incident widely vary. For e.g., Catholics
              claim that in Koonen Kurishu Sathyam, people took an oath only
              against the Jesuits, the Indian Orthodox claim that they took an oath
              of independence, where as Jacobite faction claims that they took an
              oath to be under Antioch. I think the reality was closer to rejecting
              the Roman yoke, but it is hard to tell. The fact of the matter is
              that even if historians or archaeologists were to come up with
              evidence to support any of the statements, it doesn't make even a bit
              of a difference in the positions of the denominations. When history
              becomes inconvenient, it is conveniently forgotten.

              My point is that arguments based on history have little bearing on
              the current situation. If the different factions were to rise above
              the mean spirited struggle over money and power, focus on the will of
              God and attempt to resolve differences amicably in a Christian
              spirit, unity is possible. Hatred, even when justified by historical
              reasons, will never lead to Christian unity. If anyone thinks that I
              am going to be swayed away from the church that is the source of my
              spiritual heritage because of the actions of isolated people in its
              history, they are totally mistaken.

              In Our Lord's Love
              Thomas Daniel (Reji)
            • thomas_pa1
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
                --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "daniel_reji" <daniel_reji@h...> wrote:
                > Our people never once during all the
                > centuries of our association extended a helping hand, but instead
                > took advantage of the situation.

                This is absolutely not true. Malankara church did help Anthioc
                materially, buy gifting gold, money etc. So, the claim that
                we didn't help at all is not true.

                > Personally, I think that history, esp. in the context of the
                > Malankara Church, is used as a weapon selectively when it suits a
                > denomination's claim to antiquity. The Catholics claim that St.
                > Thomas Christians were always Catholic and make tenuous arguments to
                > support that. Malankara Orthodox claim historical independence,
                where
                > as some people with extreme views in Jacobite faction claim that
                they were
                > always under Antioch. None of these positions are close to the
                truth.
                > Even accounts of a single incident widely vary. For e.g., Catholics
                > claim that in Koonen Kurishu Sathyam, people took an oath only
                > against the Jesuits, the Indian Orthodox claim that they took an
                oath
                > of independence, where as Jacobite faction claims that they took an
                > oath to be under Antioch. I think the reality was closer to
                rejecting
                > the Roman yoke, but it is hard to tell.

                You are right.

                Peace to you.
                -Thomas

                > In Our Lord's Love
                > Thomas Daniel (Reji)
              • thomas_pa1
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
                  --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., dipu george <dipu_george@y...> wrote:

                  Dipu says:
                  >!! there is no concrete evidence to prove st thomas had come to
                  >malankara.

                  Unfortunately this is what the RSS is teaching today. They teach
                  exactly the same quoting Rome. Aim of Rome was absolute control
                  over properties of Malankara Nazranis. We resisted this in history.

                  So, your plan is to change our tradition. Coptic Orthodox church
                  is also an ancient church which gave many important saints.
                  We can even say that we have our present confession of faith
                  because of them. The Coptic church records in her Synaxarium
                  that St. Thomas indeed came to India and ordained bishop.

                  So there is no confusion about our local tradition. Awgen Bava
                  was very strong in his criticism of Anthioc, when Anthioc sent
                  a official letter that St. Thomas lacks in priesthood.
                  Awgen Bava was an ascetic and guru of many and did not carry
                  anything with him. So let us stop accusing Indian fathers
                  that they plan to take away our properties.

                  We have our local tradition about St. Thomas. Only we can
                  maintain that.

                  It is true that, being away from Roman empire (Byzantium), our
                  ancient Christian community did not develop the model of church
                  administration developed within Byzantium (I mean Patriarchates).
                  When the church was small and confined to Byzantium, ecumenical
                  councils, after discussing essential matters of faith, also spent
                  some time to solve administrative problems. This is how Patriarchates
                  came in to existence. The core of Ecumenical councils is the
                  faith. Administrative/ disciplinary matters undergo change with
                  culture and growth of church. But faith will not change.

                  For example, Rome is strict that a priest should not be ordained
                  from married men. But Nicea teaches that a married person can be
                  ordained. So, can we say that Rome strictly follows this disciplinary
                  decision of Nicea? Today we are entering to more and more
                  agreements with Rome.

                  The model of Katholikkos developed outside Byzantium,
                  especially in Armenia, Georgia, Persia etc. Even today head
                  of Armenian and Georgian churches are called Katholikkos.

                  Ethiopia had a different model.
                  From ancient times they had the position of "Echege of the
                  See of St. Tekle Haimanot". The highest native born clergyman
                  of the Ethiopian Church was the Echege, who was the Abbot of the
                  Monastery of Debre Libanos, founded in the 1100's by the
                  Ethiopian saint Tekle Haimanot. I have been to Ethiopian parish and
                  know how spiritual these people are. They remove shoes like us and
                  prostrate before Icons. This "Echege" was the spiritual head of
                  the church.

                  Though this is an ancient church, they didn't develop the model of
                  Patriarchate. That concept was introduced from Byzantine culture
                  (through Alexandrian Coptic Orthodox church).
                  This helped in giving a leadership to Geez/ Amharic speaking
                  Ethiopian christians. They still remain the largest Christian
                  country in the world. So a good administrative setup will only
                  help a local church. But spiritually we are related to Anthioc
                  (because of our historic relationship) and consider Patriarch higher
                  in position that an Indian Katholikkos.

                  In India, our ancient community had "Jathikku Karthavyan" who
                  was the head of the church. Mar Thoma 1 was elevated by 12
                  Indian priests. Then, adherents of Vatican wrote to Pope:
                  "not only was Mar Thoma's ordination sacrilageous but that all his
                  subsequent acts were null and void". Today also we hear people
                  criticizing Malankara church this way.

                  We need to develop a broader understanding of our ancient
                  church and view our present problem in Malankara in this context.

                  -T
                • John Philip
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002

                    Dear SOCM members,

                    Earlier I have taken a vow to stop arguing with this Thomas_Pal of  Methran kakshi sabha, but his nature is to continuously harass our Church.  So once again I am forced to react in our SOCM forum to upheld our Church. I know he will continue to go on arguing from the points I mention in this article and if he can’t, he will raise some other matters.  But still…....

                    Now something about his argument. This Thomas_Pal said Catholioca is very sincere in accepting the Patriarch. Is that true ?  If so why Catholica Mathews II published in Manorama a quarter page advt. in March 2000 (just before the Patriarch’s arrival to Malankara in 2000), mentioning that our present Patriarch is not the Malankara Church’s head and he cannot accept H.H Patriarch since H.H is not the genuine Patriarch according to his Methran kaksi Sabha and so on.  But at some other times and more particularly after the latest verdict, he says some thing different.  Why the Catholicose changes his attitude in every moment like a Kerala politician ?    Does he have any intention to trap the poor Jacobites as in 1958 ? (Late Paulose Mor Gregorious of Methran kakshi sabha had already warned about this particular trap of Methran kaksi in a statement published on 20th June 1995 –Ref:- Mathrubhumi daily).

                    Personally I don’t know whether Catholicose is responsible for all his talks, may be some others are influencing him, may be some fanatics in Methran kakshi. So before preaching peace, let throw out these undesirable forces (who ever may be) from Methran kakshi, to bring real peace in Malankara.   Then surely this Church will be like, as it was in the time of Parumala Thirumeni.  Let us pray for that.

                    Anyhow whatever we say, a real peace at the moment is very difficult. It is a known fact that there is a historical divide between the two Churches. It cannot be solved by force. It is only because of these, we the Jacobites are wishing to remain separate atleast for this generation, so that in future we both will be in an ecumenical spirit, such as now between Marthoma Church and both our Churches.

                    John Philip

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002

                      Dear SOCM Members,

                      Recetly I have read a posting in this forum by one Thomas_Pal of Methran kakshi sabha, about the controversies of 1912, in which he said that his sabha is still remembering the deposed Patriarch Abdul Mesiha etc.  For proving his arguements, he has given a link to the 'Syrian Orthodox Church history' quoted from a British Orthodox site.   Anyhow I am not going to use all the space for arguing that this is a intentionally manipulated article.  My request to every one like Thomas_Pal, is to read the true history of Malankara Church, instead of digging into the British Orthodox sites. Its better to read the history written by the Church’s scholars. Or it may be “His Story”, as said by one scholar. Atleast this Thomas_pal could have given a link to his sabha's site instead of British site. But unfortunately, his sabha's practise is to confuse others through such twistings and tactics.

                      Now about the British Orthodox site that Thomas_pal have mentioned; I think in all probability, some one from Methran kakshi sabha influences the article in this link; Otherwise the people of Coptic Church may not have any knowledge about this matter. I think one Fr. V C Samuel has some role in it. His book is mentioned in the reference section.  (See the end of the article - in the reference section  --- ."C. Samuel, Truth Triumphs, An account of the Life and Achievements of Malankara Metropolitan Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius (1986).")

                      Earlier, in the end of another article about ‘Patriarch Mar Sevarious’ by the same British group, it is mentioned that the Fr. V C Samuel’s book about the Chalcedonian Synod will be reproduced soon by this British orthodox Church. And in many other Internet sites of this Church, they are quoting this Fr. V C Samuel again & again.

                      So with all the circumstantial evidences, I think this article which thomas-pal have mentioned, is reproduced with the help of this Achen who is a member of Methran Kakshi sabha.  If it is so, then I am not wondering in seeing a distorted history, such as that reproduced in that British orthodox Internet site.

                      Now again I doubt whether this thomas_pal have any connection with this achen ?  I am a member of Indian orthodox forum. I have seen many postings by this thomas-pal quoting & promoting this VC Samuel achen. That’s why I doubt.

                      (Someone has enrolled me in that forum without my knowledge- I don’t have a practice to unnecessarily provocate others through their forums. Recently without my knowledge, again this particular forum has enrolled me in another email address --kjphilip3@... from Malankara Church.org. This way they may be able to claim that their forum has so much number of members etc, as is done by some media tycoons in kerala -----So my advice to the promoter of SOCM forum, you also please use this method to increase the number of members.   This way you can also popularise your forum, eventhough it is unethical.)

                      John Philip

                    • V Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                        Sir,
                        I would like to throw some light on Rev(Dr.)V.C Samuel.He hail from Omallur.Joined the manjinikkara seminary in Omallur.He got the early training
                        under Yulios bhava the then represetative of Partiarch.He left the seminary  in some unpleasant manner after quarelling with Bava and later was a priest in chengalam pally at Kottayam(Jacobite church)..Later he was a priest in Bangalore also.He was one of the early PhD of our church.While at Banaglore  got married.He then moved onto Ethioia and worked many years there.The last years were at Bangalore.He also has taught in Pazhaya seminary,some time..
                        His marriage after becoming a priest was not welcome by many.He has written many articles on Marriage and celibacy.Brought in arguments that there were Bishops in our early church who were married.He went to Orthodox side.Initially he was accepted,there,well.They used his scholarly position to emaphasise the argument that ours was an independent church,from the begining..
                        I have few years of association with him.But while appreciating his  scholarship we had some arguments on the independence  of the church.
                        We held the argument that ,if we remove the Kuppayams of these independent indian bishops,  which we have inherited from Syrian orthdox church,
                         they are more or less  are like our sadhus.But he was holding the veiw that our relation with syria is only after 16th centuary,that too through Persia.
                        Another matter to be mentioned here is that H.G Paulose Mor Gregorios(Rev,Fr,Paul Vargese) was also at Ethiopia.He was also an accepted scholar,but there was contant enimity between them.Infact VCS was a critic of Thirumeni.Once he told us,Thirumeni has only show but not deep knowledge.But Dr.Paul Varghese achen was more popular among youth of that time.This as per VCS was cheap popularity.
                        Now there is an organisation supported by his fans(who has worked in Ethiopia  during his tenure there and few others.There may be few  migrants to  UK  also)) ,working from Pathanathitta  to make him great.They publish his articles and articles onhim.Their veiw is-
                        .1. VCS  was all time great scholar syrian orthdox group has seen.
                        2.It is because of his research the syrian orthox church is respected.now.Early churches were treating us  as monophysite and after his reaserch papers only the western churches realised our real position.
                        3.They have agenda also to hurt Jacobites in world forums.

                        Reagrds
                        vmt

                      • dipu george
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002

                            thomas_pa1 <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:

                          --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., dipu george <dipu_george@y...> wrote:

                          Dipu says:
                          >!! there is no concrete evidence to prove st thomas had come to
                          >malankara.

                          and thomas says

                          Unfortunately this is what the RSS is teaching today. They teach
                          exactly the same quoting Rome. Aim of Rome was absolute control
                          over properties of Malankara Nazranis. We resisted this in history.

                          .....well this what i have to say

                          .....the RSS is very proud of u guys!!! remember what sudarshan said of your faction and the marthoma church.!!! for us ...our patriach  ( and i hope yours if u believe in him)has said thus - love your country only then can u love this church- and we as obedient children under our holy father will obey his statement.

                          get lost mr thomas

                          So, your plan is to change our tradition. Coptic Orthodox church
                          is also an ancient church which gave many important saints.
                          We can even say that we have our present confession of faith
                          because of them. The Coptic church records in her Synaxarium
                          that St. Thomas indeed came to India and ordained bishop.

                          2...at times u quote history and not traditions to suit ur view points.what are u trying to prove.

                          i can point out lots of mistakes in our legends and songs about the coming of st thomas!!!! thats why

                          all i am trying to say that here in the case of malankara it is because of tradition and traditon only that we can claim st thomas had come to india. india at that time comprised the whole of the indian subcontinent and not just malankara alone !! i hope u be careful in quoting augen because if u are at  fault in what u r saying then i pray that god forgive you !!! besides one need not guess the letters sent to antioch by devalokam (who had actually written it instead of HBaugen ). for that please read malankara malpan's sabha charithram for u would also read about HB augen's allegiance and statement about the holy syrian orthodox church.... how come his anniversary is commemorated with only a munninmel qurbana while that of his predecessor is celebrated by a pompous festivallasting three days !!!!!! u have villified that man of god not us...forcing him to abjucate his title while he was still  alive...thats the first in history of the tradition of catholicose!!!!

                          remember the age of his predecessor when he died !!!! this was needed for u couldnt digest the unification of this church...dont teach us crap mr thomas !!! this is what i meant by the diabolic attitudes of those fanatics at devalokam.

                          So there is no confusion about our local tradition. Awgen Bava
                          was very strong in his criticism of Anthioc, when Anthioc sent
                          a official letter that St. Thomas lacks in priesthood.
                          Awgen Bava was an ascetic and guru of many  and did not carry
                          anything with him.  So let us stop accusing Indian fathers
                          that they plan to take away our properties.

                          oh great !!! i believe u r trying to confer sainthood on your metran faction by saying this !!!

                          i pity your hollow hopes in this ....good luck to you ... pity u cant point out further scholars in your faction  mr thomas.... cause u dont have one....the only eligibility ur faction have is in fighting and cunningness.....

                          It is true that, being away from Roman empire (Byzantium), our
                          ancient Christian community did not develop the model of church
                          administration developed within Byzantium (I mean Patriarchates).
                          When the church was small and confined to Byzantium, ecumenical
                          councils, after discussing essential matters of faith, also spent
                          some time to solve administrative problems. This is how Patriarchates
                          came in to existence. The core of Ecumenical councils is the
                          faith. Administrative/ disciplinary matters undergo change with
                          culture and growth of church. But faith will not change.

                          For example, Rome is strict that a priest should not be ordained
                          from married men. But Nicea teaches that a married person can be
                          ordained. So, can we say that Rome strictly follows this disciplinary
                          decision of Nicea?  Today we are entering to more and more
                          agreements with Rome.

                          3..  well rome did have married bishops atleast till the time of the rennaissance ....i dont know when they adopted celibacy for their priests

                          please mr thomas!! it would be nice if u leave this forum!!! go and start your factions forum and discuss these craps !!! we have our faith,our liturgy and traditions and culture to uphold.

                          u need to consider inventing your own faith and history to lay the foundation of your faction's church.

                          The model of Katholikkos developed outside Byzantium,
                          especially in Armenia, Georgia, Persia  etc. Even today head
                          of Armenian and Georgian churches are called Katholikkos.

                          great......i cant take this crap any longer........the title of katholicose ur present leader currently holds is holy for many holy saints once adorned it like the likes of Bar Hebraus...by ur catholicose actions it has only brought disrepute to that once holy name!!!!! atleast their catholicoses are called His Beatitudes ...i believe that title seems too lowly for ur faction catholicose who prides himself in signing as His Holiness mathews2 !!!!

                          Ethiopia had a different model.
                          From ancient times they had the position of "Echege of the
[...]

                          ya ya ...the seeds of discontent!!!! one can read what u intend .....hmm...do i see the day when ur catholicose awards u with the title of chevalier.....for ur indepth analysis in discovering what we lacked in!!! the abbysinian church was under heresy ....whose concept of christ was what the muslims (muhammed's followers took refuge under this kingdom during their exile)believes in . it was the coptic church which through the grace of god removed that heresy from that church....hope ur faction wont be like the heretic abbysinian church then !!! good luck to you

                          dipu george

                          Do You Yahoo!?

                        • V Thomas
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 12, 2002
                            Dear All,

                            It is meaning less to talk of RSS  whenever you have no argument.
                            (In fact if orthodox fanatics can be there ,Hindu fanatics(RSS) also can be there .
                            They all do the same thing.Try to destroy others,.Rewrite history,etc.)
                            Dear Thomas_P,in fact , there is no proof in the scientific way.!
                            But we all accept  and believe that St.Thomas came to India and
                            converted the natives and Jews into Christianity,who were our forefathers.
                            So also we  understand  and  accept that St Peter was the leader of
                            Christ's disciples(from bible) and through him the church -priest hood lives.
                            (through his actions later).
                            Three  first synods are proven,matter.It shows clearly the ecclesiastical
                            powers of Patriarchs and bishops.
                            First thing to Christian,is to accept Christ,his teachings ,his disciples their acts and teachings
                            and teachings of our forefathers.So accept Patriarch first!
                            It also a logical thing to say what we give can be taken back.by the owner.God has given us life
                            and he  takes  it back.  .It is logic.If Patriarch has power to give priest hood to
                            catholica, he has also power to take it back,if he is found undeserving.In that reasoning present
                            catholica  does not have priest hood.(pattathvam)This is what every Jacobite believe.
                            Is it clear?
                            As per science,the life came  on earth billions of years back.Human beings
                            took millions of years to develop to this status.They can carbon date fossils and say there is proof,.
                            But we christains do not  believe that.We accept Jesus,Bible and church.
                            One cannot travel in two boats at one time.If you are a syrian christain,the
                            our priest hood came from Patriarch.Long live HH Zakka I and long live
                            the Patriarchate!
                            Regards
                            vmt