Fwd: Re: [SORForum] A primacy of Love and service

  • SOR-Forum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2003
      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Ingram" <Brian.Ingram@x>
      wrote:

      While I agree with you Thomas that in a wider sense scripture says
      that bishops govern over the church and as such have a collective
      responsibility for it, however Peter was specifically refereed to in
      both Matthew and John's gospel as having an overall shepherding role
      in the church. As you put it ."There is no doubt about Peter's Primacy"
      you go on to describe this primacy as one of "not of power" , but a
      primacy of Love and service that Jesus leaves him.

      In fact we could say that all bishops have a primacy in the own jurisdiction
      of love and service. However can we deny that they also have from Christ the
      authority and power to exercise that love and service? In regards to what you
      quoted from St Cyprian of Cathage here is the full text in which explains the
      role of Peter and his office.

      Cyprian of Carthage
      "The Lord says to Peter: 'I say to you,' he says, 'that you are Peter, and
      upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not
      overcome it. And to you I will give the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and
      whatever things you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and
      whatever you loose on earth, they shall be loosed also in heaven' [Matt.
      16:18-19]). . . . On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives
      the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like
      power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he
      established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that
      unity. Indeed, the others were also what Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a
      primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one
      Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the
      flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord.

      If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine
      that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon
      whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?"
      (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4; 1st edition [A.D. 251]).

      Regards
      Brian
      --- End forwarded message ---