Malankara World Journal Issue 190 (Jan 16, 2014)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2014
      Malankara World Journal Issue 190 (Jan 16, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 190 (Jan 16, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 190

      1. Bible Readings for This Sunday (January 19)

      Bible Readings For The Second Sunday after Denho
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_2nd_sunday_after_Denho.htm

      2. Sermons for This Sunday (January 19)

      Sermons for the Sunday Sunday After Denho
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-denaha.htm

      3. Inspiration for Today: Behind the Black Door

      The best opportunities in our lives stand behind the forbidding door of the great unknown. ...

      4. Featured: Story of Joseph 9 - How Will You Be Remembered?

      We come now to the final moments of Joseph's life. In order to set the scene, we need to know one crucial fact. Fifty years have passed since Joseph said to his brothers, "You meant it for evil against me, but God meant it for good" (Genesis 50:20). That half-century is covered in just one sentence, "Joseph stayed in Egypt, along with all his father's family" (Genesis 50:22). Joseph's final words are recorded in two places: Genesis 50 and Hebrews 11. From looking at these two passages, we discover how faith shows itself at the end of life.

      Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die, but God will visit you and bring you up out of this land to the land that he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob." Then Joseph made the sons of Israel swear, saying, "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here." So Joseph died, being 110 years old. They embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt" (Gen 50:24-26). ...

      5. Nathanael's story- A narrative Sermon

      My brother is usually the focus of the story when it is told, Philip the Evangelist, and I am often left feeling like a simpleton. "A man without a false bone in his body", that is how Jesus described me; that much is true, I am straightforward, but I am not simple. ... The Gospel of John 1: 43-51 comes alive with the encounter of Jesus with Philip and Nathaniel. ...

      6. What Are You Looking For? - Reflection on John 1:43-51

      You can tell a lot about what someone is looking for by what they actually find. What did Jesus find when he went to Galilee? Jesus found Philip. Jesus found a man who was ready to be one of his disciples and he invited Philip to follow him. You don't have to look too deeply to see that Jesus went to Galilee looking for disciples. ...

      7. Why Worrying is a Failure to Grasp the Gospel

      Worry shows up whenever my view of God is diminished and my view of myself gets too big. I worry because my vision of God is skewed. I rest when my vision is fixed. ...

      8. Christian Persecution - Malankara World Journal Special Edition To Be Released on Jan 19

      Malankara World Journal will release a special edition (Issue 191) on January 19, 2014 examining the Persecution of Christians in the Middle East and the World. If you want to contribute an article for this special edition, please submit it by January 17 to mail <at> malankaraworld.com. (replace <at> with @ and remove all spaces.) ...

      9. Self Growth: Fear Not Failure but Shallow Success

      "Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." - Francis Chan.

      10. Are you measuring success according to your values?

      How do we pivot from having a fear of failure to having passion for pursuing a truly successful business and meaningful life? ...

      11. Inspirational Story: Finding Grace

      "What could this possibly be?" I thought to myself.
      Why would someone place that sign so low? No one could read it."

      You see them everywhere. Small signs promoting yard sales, cars, and business opportunities are posted on poles and lobbies of stores throughout the community. So many, in fact, that they sometimes become a blur defeating the sole purpose of getting your attention.

      Not this one. This one stood out because it appeared to be a mistake. ... (You have to read this. ...)

      12. Health: How to Raise Emotionally Healthy Children

      There's nothing complicated about raising your children to feel good about themselves and act out healthy behaviors. It's a simple matter of taking time to think through the process.

      First and foremost, psychologists say it's vital to help your child form a healthy self-image. Why? All of us formulate our decisions and actions based on what we think about ourselves. Here are some tips for directing your children. ...

      13. Recipe: Curried Squash Soup With Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

      At this time of year, squash is so abundant that many of us feel compelled to use it in as many ways as possible. What better way is there to enjoy this class fall vegetable than in a hearty, tangy soup? The spiced seeds are a perfect addition to the soup, but you might want to make these just to keep on hand as a snack. ...

      14. How a Spiritual Orphan Learned to Parent God's Way

      When my children were young, I preferred to have my time of Bible reading either before they awakened or after they had gone to sleep. It minimized distractions and ensured I had quiet. I realized though, that because I had my quiet times while they were asleep, my children never saw me reading the Bible and praying. Since I wanted to demonstrate how important that was, I began having an additional (brief) quiet time after they awakened in order to model this important discipline. ...

      15. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World