Narration by Two Marthomite Women: An eye-opener for all Orthodox Priests

  • Varugese C J IIMSTAFF
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2013
      Dear All,

      Recently when I was driving to attend a marriage at the Marthoma Syrian church of Ahmedabad, two marthomite ladies were also with us. Both of them were under the impression that we are Orthodox faithfuls, but I clarified to them that we are not Orthodox, but Jacobite, and told them that we are proud to be a Jacobite, because I believe that I follow my forefather's faith and belief. Both these ladies were in their early 60s, and hail from the district of Pathanamthitta. While continuing our discussion on the church issues, one of them told that her daughter has been married to an Orthodox boy. This lady and her family are devote Marthomite. She narrated an incident. Once one of their lady guest was taken with them to the Marthoma Church on a Sunday. Knowing this her daughter her daughter came to their house and asked them why did you take the guest to the Marthoma church for the Sunday service? and she could have been gone with their daughter to the Orthodox Church, as the guest girl was also married to an Orthodox boy. Her daughter was trying to explain all that in an Orthodox service, and the greatness of the Orthodox Church. By hearing her they were all wondered, what happened to their daughter, who was a Marthomite till her marriage, and a 15 year's of alliance made her an entirely different Christian, an Indian Orthodox. I told her that is what the Orthodox priests are taught to make the young generation of theirs so heretics and loyal to Orthodox Church. She told me that they have relations with all the Christian denominations and groups, and she could not see such a heretic outburst from any of them, but only from her own daughter. She also told me that in her childhood, she never heard of Orthodox but only know Jacobite. The other lady also told that she also heard Orthodox Church, may be for the last 30-35 years only. They both asked me, whether there is any difference in the faith of these Jacobite and Orthodox church, and when this Orthodox church came-up? How one church can come up into an entity so fast?

      I told them that there is no different between Jacobite and Orthodox church faith. Both the churches follow the same liturgy for its Holy Qurbana. The only difference is that the then head of Jacobite Syrians revolted against the authority the Head of Church (HH Patriarch), and with the help of few community leaders of the then Jacobite Church y and Malayala Manorama they manipulated and rediculed the poor faithfuls to revolt against the Mother Church. They have captured the majority of the Southern Travancore Churches and the only Seminary, from where our Priests were taught. Those priests who come out of this Seminary were the ambassadors of the deviated faith, and some of them more heretics were chosen to become metropolitans. They thought they will be successful in eliminating the ancient Jacobite Syrian faith, but in South Travancore a minority stayed back in their ancient faith, and the majority of the chruches in the Northern part of Travancore remained with the Jacobite Syrian faith.

      I have been forced to narrate the above after reading the outburst of some of the senior most priest of Orthodox Church in connection with the recent Kolencherry church issue. They always take this opportunity to redicule the Mother Church and its shepherds. Few highly learned laity is bashing against the Mother Church, as if the Malankara Jacobites are their arch rivals, and they do not have right to be the legitimate owners, but it is their birth right to drive away the faithfuls from the churches. They have succeeded in maligning the Jacobite church with manipulated, rather cruel lies about them, and the courts/judges were forced to believe their lies. Alway they refer 1934 constitution as the only valid document to be referred, not any of the previous historical facts and truth are not be respected or taken into account. A learned malpan is referring about the agreement of 1959, but he conveniently forgot his great grandfather stood for what and fought for what. Some of such people are blind followers of newly invented Indian Orthodox church hisories, and few others are bribed to say like parrots to repeat what they have been brought and bought for. Without any hesitation they proclaim that there is no validity for the majority decision, but only court orders and the 1934 consti-tuition (a tutored theory) of some yester heretics.

      That's all from my desk.

      Regards,
      Varughese
      Mem.ID # 1012
    • dhinuus
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2013

        Dear Mr C J Varughese,

        In your message you are saying: "I clarified to them that we are not Orthodox, but Jacobite,"

        Please see the following quote from the website of the Western US Diocese of the Syriac Orthodox Church under the Patriarch of Antioch. " Adversaries labeled the Syriac Orthodox Church 'Jacobite' after St. Jacob. The Syriac Orthodox Church rejects this belittling label which suggests that the Church was founded by St. Jacob."

        http://www.soc-wus.org/ourchurch/history.html

        It is the adversaries of the Syriac Orthodox faith; that call us Jacobite. We are Ortho (meaning true or straight) dox (meaning doctrine); in other words church with the "True Doctrine". We are not a church established by Mor Jacob Boudana; we are a church established by Jesus Christ.

        What holds us together as a church? It is the true faith (or Orthodoxy) as established by Jesus Christ; taught by the Apostles and reinforced by the Three Ecumenical Councils of Nicea, Constantinople and Ephesus. In our "Creed" we do not say that we believe in One Holy Jacobite Church. We say we believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. The "Catholicity" or the "Universal" nature of the church is not coming from one Head on earth the Roman Pope as the Roman Catholics say; the Catholicity, comes from the communion of Churches held together by the same Ture-Doctrine (i.e Orthodoxy). So when we say the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church; we mean the One Church that includes the Syriacs; Coptics, Armenians, Ethiopians, Eritreans and us in India. What holds these different ethnic groups together as One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is not one Head Bishop (i.e Patriarch of Pope). What holds them together is the Orthodoxy of the Three Ecumenical Councils.

        Forgive me..

        In Christ,

        Mathew G M