Malankara World Journal Ettu Nomb Special: Day - 6, Issue 166 (Sep 6, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      Malankara World Journal Ettu Nomb Special: Day - 6, Issue 166  (Sep 6, 2013)

      This is a special edition of Malankara World Journal for the Ettu Nomb, an exclusive lent observed by Malankara Christians worldwide.

      Issue 166 for Ettu Nomb Day - 6 (September 6, 2013) is now available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 166
      Ettu Nomb (8 Days Lent) Special - Day 6

      1. Foreword

      It is not necessary that we understand God's way of doing things. We just have to trust God to do His will and know that it will be always good for us.

      God picked Mary because of her purity, simple faith and, most of all, her humility. Mary believed in God. Like Abraham, who was willing to do anything God commanded him to do, including the sacrificing of his son Isaac, Mary was willing to do anything God asked her to do. That is simple faith and obedience. That is why she was selected as the Theotokos, the Mother of God. No human being was raised so high like Mary. (as stated in our Sleebo Namaskaram for Sunday - Third Hour - Bovuso of Mor Jacob) ...

      2. Inspiration for Today: Compassion of God During Your Suffering

      3. Featured: Mary - Believing the Impossible

      A wonderful look at the annunciation story. You will get an insight into what made Mary so special.

      What is it that God wants from us? Total comprehension about the future before we will trust him? No. That's impossible. And besides, it's better that we don't know what the future holds. Does he want us to have perfect knowledge of the Bible? No. If that were the case, then no one would ever trust him. Do we have to be spiritually advanced to the point of sainthood? Thank God the answer is No. Very few of us would meet that qualification.

      What does God want from us? The same thing he wanted from Mary. Simple faith that he will keep his word in unlikely and unexpected ways. ...

      4. When God Shows Up, Don't Forget It

      Today, remember. Remember who God is. He will do what He said He will do. He is El Roi, the God who sees me. He is the God who sees you. And that is something we should never forget. ...

      5. Marian Imagery in the Old Testament

      St. Augustine said that "the New Testament lies hidden in the Old and the Old is fulfilled in the New." Like other Church Fathers he distinguished between the outer "literal" and the inner "spiritual" meaning of Holy Scripture. And like the others, he often preferred spirit to letter. ...

      6. God Lifts Up the Lowly

      Proud people are generally very focused on whatever serves their best interests. So "scattering" is a very good verb to use to indicate what happens to the proud when God goes into action. Mary rejoices in that "scattering," but who are the proud? Maybe we don't have to look any further than ourselves. How much we fight with that root sin of pride! ...

      7. Mary's Visit to Elizabeth in Luke 1, Ark Imagery and the Early Fathers

      Patristic sources often link Mary, the mother of Jesus, to ark of the covenant imagery. Where did this tradition originate? At first glance, it might be suspected that such language is merely the result of reckless allegorization. After all, the New Testament never links Mary with the ark. . . right? Here I want to make the case that the imagery of Mary as ark can be found in Luke's Gospel. ...

      8. Light Will Come

      Anytime you are going through difficult, dark times, know that God already has a plan to bring you through to victory. When you call on His name, when you surrender your circumstances to Him, that's when His light will come forth through the darkness. ...

      9. More Resources For Study and Reflection

      Malankara World Supplement on St. Mary plus other publications of interest.

      10. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this Malankara World Journal Special online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World