Malankara World Journal Issue 168, Theme: Nativity of Theotokos (Sep 8, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2013
      Malankara World Journal Issue 168, Theme: Nativity of Theotokos (Sep 8, 2013)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 168 (September 8, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 168
      Theme: Nativity of St. Mary - Theotokos

      1. Foreword

      We honor St. Mary for her key role in the plan of God for the redemption of mankind and her place as the Theotokos, Mother of God. The birth of Mary was like a dawn. ...

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (September 8)

      Bible Readings for the Fourth Sunday after Shunoyo

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (September 8)

      Sermons for the Fourth Sunday After Shunoyo

      4. Inspiration for Today

      In her life Mary knew, as we do, that God's will can seem at times obscure and far from our expectations; it involves embracing the mystery of the Cross. It is significant that at the Annunciation Mary ponders in her heart the meaning of the angel's message. Her example reminds us that faith while fully obedient to the Lord's will, also must seek daily to discern, understand and accept that will. ...

      5. Featured: The Blessed Virgin

      The blessedness of Mary is strongly emphasized in Luke 1:26-56. First, we hear it on the lips of the angel Gabriel when he comes to tell Mary that she is going to conceive and bring forth the Christ. Then we hear it again from Mary's cousin Elizabeth when Mary goes to visit her. Elizabeth said these things as one filled with the Holy Spirit - - it is not just her own words, but the word of God. And thirdly, we hear of Mary's blessedness from Mary herself, also speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in verse 48 where she says: "Henceforth all generations will call me blessed." I want to focus on the blessedness of Mary that you might not miss what God has given you about this in His word. ...

      6. On the Faith of Mary, the Virgin Mother of Christ

      The angel's greeting to Mary is an invitation to joy, a deep joy, it announces the end of the sadness that there is in the world in front of the limits of life, suffering, death, wickedness, the darkness of evil that seems to obscure the light of the divine goodness. It is a greeting that marks the beginning of the Gospel, the Good News. ...

      It is no different for the journey of faith of each one of us: it encounters moments of light, but also meets with moments where God seems absent, His silence weighs on our hearts and His will does not correspond to our own, to what we would like. But the more we open ourselves to God, welcome the gift of faith, put our trust in Him completely - like Abraham and like Mary - the more He makes us able, us with His presence, to live every situation of life in peace and in the assurance of His faithfulness and of His love. But this means going out of oneself and one's projects, because the Word of God is a lamp to guide our thoughts and our actions. ...

      7. The Eternal Predestination of Our Lady

      She has been given us to be our light in darkness, our strength in our weakness, our recourse in our miseries, our refuge in all necessities, and our model in all things. She exercises towards us all these offices in the mystery of her holy childhood, wherein the Church invokes and salutes her as Mother of the Son of God and of all the children of God, and, consequently, bound equally to both. ..

      8. Blessed Among Women

      St. Lawrence reflects upon the meaning of the words: "Blessed are you among women." He shows Mary to be unique in her creation, in her nature as woman, and in her motherhood. In doing so he calls upon Old Testament typology, the Fathers of the Church, and even fifth century Christian poetry. ...

      9. Praying with Mary

      A Song from the Heart. So what does Mary's Magnificat teach us? It shows us that Mary wanted to honor God with her whole being; it shows us that she was mindful of the great things God had already done for his people; and it shows that she was willing to do whatever God asked of her. ...

      10. The History of the Term Theotókos

      Theotókos (a Greek word meaning God-bearer) is the ancient Eastern title for Mary, Mother of God, prominent especially in liturgical prayer in the Orient down to our time. It was formally sanctioned at the Council of Ephesus. It makes into one word the Lucan title "Mother of the Lord" (1:43) with 2:12, where Lord is taken in a transcendent sense; it is the counterpart of John's "the Word was made flesh" (1:14). ...

      11. Unless They Are Agreed

      Mary agreed with God's promise and accepted it. Then the miracle happened. Whatever you are facing today, make the decision to agree with God and His promises. The Holy Spirit can bring His Word to pass! ...

      12. More Resources For Study and Reflection

      13. Malankara World Supplement on St. Mary plus other publications of interest.

      14. Pray for Peace in Syria

      Pope Francis has called Saturday, September 7, 2013 as a day of Prayer for Syria. As we all know, many Christians in Syria are being persecuted. Two Orthodox Bishops are kidnapped and are held against their will; their whereabouts are unknown. Please pray for the people of Syria and for God to strengthen the resolve of leaders to end the fighting and to choose a future of peace. ...

      15. Health: How to Navigate a Cancer Diagnosis

      Pioneering Psychotherapist Shares Strategies for Managing Anxiety & Maintaining Emotional Wellness.

      16. Family Special: Ten Insights to Help Us Better Relate to Others

      Do you agree that relating to others better begins with first understanding them better? How can we work to understand and build relationships with those around us to ultimately show them the love of Christ? ...

      17. Humor: Newton's Laws

      Ten Laws Newton Forgot To State.

      18. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World