Malankara World Journal Issue 158 - Theme: Humility And Servanthood

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14 2:26 PM
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 158 - Theme: Humility And Servanthood - (August 15, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 158
      Theme: Humility And Servanthood

      1. Foreword

      During this season of humility and servanthood, let us join that tax-collector who went to the synagogue, who was afraid to even look up, remorseful of his sins, and prayed - the prayer that will eventually lead to the Jesus Prayer - the most famous prayer of all: "Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." ...

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (August 18)

      Bible Readings For The First Sunday after Shunoyo
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_1st_sunday_after-Shunoyo.htm

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (August 18)

      Sermons for the First Sunday After Shunoyo
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_1st-sunday-after-Shunoyo.htm

      4. Inspiration for Today

      Whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; and whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. ...

      5. Featured: Greatness, Humility, Servanthood

      Without humility we won't serve, or we will serve for the wrong reasons. It seems almost impossible to overstate how pervasive are the effects of humility in our lives. ... Every good thing in the Christian life grows in the soil of humility. Without humility, every virtue and every grace withers. ...

      6. True Greatness

      A desire for greatness is normal. I hope you want to be great for God. But Jesus points out that there is a right and wrong way to achieve greatness. And we're going to see that the world's way and God's way are often just the opposite. Oh, how our perspective on greatness needs to be changed! ...

      7. Service With a Smile

      Paul is telling us that when we choose to love and serve others, especially those who are unlovable and difficult, we choose to have the same attitude that Jesus had. I believe the greatest hindrance to serving others is pride. ...

      8. Caring Service and Its Impact

      Mr. Marriott, I'll never meet you. And I don't need to meet you. Because I met Charles. I know what you stand for. ...

      9. How Does the World See You?

      As Christians, we must remember that everything we say and everything we do reflects the presence of God in our lives. If we respond to others with cruelty, should we be surprised when their perception of Jesus is twisted? But if we respond in love, then perhaps they'll begin to understand how Christ sees them. So ask yourself, how does the world see Christ when they look at you? ...

      10. Serving Those Who Can't Serve You

      Benevolence is serving someone who can't serve you back. Because they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous. In that day, Jesus will reward you. It's a win-win deal: While He is working through you here on earth, you will be blessed. Then, when you see Jesus face to face you'll be blessed again for what He did. ...

      11. Health: Tips for Weight Maintenance

      With the recent declaration from the American Medical Association that obesity now should be considered a disease, the United States officially becomes an even more afflicted union. Obesity, which affects 78 million adults and 12 million children, causes a plethora of other illnesses, including cardiac disease and diabetes. ...

      12. Health: Is mental health stigma overrated?

      According to the Kaiser poll, most Americans (75 percent) favor "requiring insurance companies to offer benefits for mental health and substance abuse services that are equivalent to benefits for other medical services." But fewer than four in ten knew that there is a federal requirement that most plans providing mental health benefits have the same rules for mental health and substance use benefits as for other medical services. ...

      13. Family Special: The Eucharist - Foundation of the Christian Family

      We do not normally associate the Holy Eucharist with marriage and the family. But we should. Without the Eucharist, there would not be a livable Sacrament of Matrimony or a stable Christian family.

      What are we saying? We are saying that Christ intended these two sacraments to be related as condition and consequence. The Eucharist is the condition, and matrimony as the core of the family is the supernatural consequence. ...

      14. Resurgent Russia: The Hope of Persecuted Christians

      Scarcely a day goes by now where we do not read of yet another in a constellation of initiatives being undertaken by both the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian government on behalf of persecuted Christians and other victims in Syria, Egypt, and elsewhere in the world. ...

      15. Will, Fern, and the Power of Encouragement

      There will always be people in your life ready to tell you what you can't do. Real friends root for you, support you and help you discover your inner talents and strengths. I hope you will find and treasure those kinds of friends and be one yourself. ...

      16. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World